One solution to: Server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP ...

Sinisa Ruzin

I am sure that many of you have got this unpleasant message:" Server
is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP
....". I got it after completely rebuilding my machine and installing
all patches and before starting putting my stuff, even before MS
office. So, I was puzzled. Things like iisreset, regiis and other
wonderful MS suggested solutions, have not resulted in anything except
in me using more and more colorful language to describe my state of
mind and my appreciation for modern technology.
The VS.NET on the server was able to open the project evening before
and just started giving me the ugly message the next day. Then, I
rolled back the film and remembered what I did before the trouble
started! I created a few new web-sites in the IIS on the same server
and I used header host names. All sites worked well before I called it
a day.

The solution in this case was to change address of the project in the
PROJECTNAME.csproj.webinfo from
<Web URLPath = "http://localhost/VIRTUALDIR/PROJECTNAME.csproj" />
<Web URLPath = "http://www.domainname.com/VIRTUALDIR/PROJECTNAME.csproj"
/>
The VS.NET was able to open the project immediatelly.
So, there must be some identification issue with usage of localhost
while having multiple domains on the same machine.
The machine is Win2k Server/SP4 + .NET 2003)

I hope that this helps at least some of you.

Cheers,
Sinisa Ruzin(contact aaAT itdesign-inc.com)
http://www.itdesign-inc.com
-- Custom Web Solutions--

Guest

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been fighting with this for weeks, posting for help all over the
places without any useful answer.

I have not get to the point to run my project, at least I am getting by the
urgly message page.