onUnload + confirmation

Nithya Venkatachalam

Hi,
I want something similar to this:
When i type some text in this 'New Topic' text box and click on 'My
Groups ' link on top right corner ,
i should be alerted with a message saying 'Do u want to continue ?'.
Only if i press 'ok' , it should go to 'My Gropus'. If 'cancel', then
it should remain on this page itself with previously entered data.
I dont want to modify in 'My Groups ' link, as there are so many
links on my page and i cant change in all links.
Can it be done in onUnload event handler?
I know Unload event cant be prevented.
But can it be done with some hidden variables?