Opinions on Java Server Faces?

Adam Lipscombe

Hi Folks,

Leading on from my previous post - what I really would like is thick
client-like UI functionality in a thin client scenario.

It seems like Java Server Faces might provide this, but I am not sure how
stable it is. Are their any implementations of production quality?

What are peoples opinions about JSF? Will reall deliver a rich UI? Any
alternatives?

TIA - Adam

Chris Smith

Adam said:
Leading on from my previous post - what I really would like is thick
client-like UI functionality in a thin client scenario.

It seems like Java Server Faces might provide this, but I am not sure how
stable it is. Are their any implementations of production quality?

JSF is a final release, and an official reference implementation is
available. Generally speaking, Sun's reference implementations are of
good quality. I don't have specific experience with this one, though.

That said, it's worth noting that JSF in its current incarnation is not
going to give you anything like thick-client UI controls. Though it is
possible to develop such controls using combinations of JavaScript and
HTML forms and to encapsulate them as JSF controls for easy reuse, this
is not already done. The standard JSF controls correspond pretty much
exactly to the set of basic HTML form controls.

There is some talk of JSF including a more capable standard control
toolbox in the future... but as always, the problem with the future is
that we aren't there yet so we don't really know what it looks like.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation