option strict disallows late binding reading from web.config

Karl Lang

Hi
I've created a new configuration section in Web.Config to hold the
connection string for my database. If I have Option Strict On I get a
message "Option Strict On disallows late binding" when I try to retrieve the
string. Now I'd rather not turn off option strict but I'd also prefer to
have my connection string in one place. Does anyone have any ideas where I'm
going wrong with this?

This is the code
In Web.Config (I've removed some of the type in the section name):
<configSections>
<section name="MyWebSite"
type="System.Configuration.NameValueFileSectionHandler..." />
</configSections>

<MyWebSite>
<add key="connString"
value="server=(local);uid=x.xxx;pwd=xxx;database=xyzxyz" />
</MyWebSite>

In my ASPX file, the following produces the late binding error message:
strConn = ConfigurationSettings.GetConfig("MyWebSite")("connString")

klang

Karl Lang

Karl Lang said:
In Web.Config (I've removed some of the type in the section name):
<configSections>
<section name="MyWebSite"
type="System.Configuration.NameValueFileSectionHandler..." />
</configSections>

Hi again,
you can ignore my post, after re-reading the online docs I have used
appSettings section to hold my connection string.

btw, it also appears that I shouldn't have used NameValueFileSectionHandler.
If anyone is interested in section groups check out Declaring and Accessing
Section Groups at msdn,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../cpguide/html/cpcondeclaringsectiongroups.asp

klang