Orif Others

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Brad Smallridge, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. I find the recent discussion of orif very
    interesting. What better way to improve a
    language by adding rhyming keywords.

    But let's turn our attention to the aggregate
    command OTHERS. Clearly we could add the word
    MOTHERS; that would be a sort of master copy
    of an aggragate that would spawn aggregates.
    BROTHERS would inherit certain characteristics
    from MOTHERS but not necessarilly the entire
    bundle.

    There isn't much choice in aggregates, not like
    any #if #notif directives. So we should definetely
    have our DROTHERS.

    I also find that sometimes I want to change a few
    items in long aggregate list without hunting down
    the exact element, so a SMOTHERS would be ideal,
    allowing you to change an element without a double
    assignment error.

    Nesting too might be useful like your SMOTHERS
    BROTHERS. If you don't find that useful, well,
    Mom always liked you best.

    Brad Smallridge

    Brad Smallridge, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Brad Smallridge

    Andy Guest

    Thanks for the humor! We could use some around here...

    Andy

    Andy, Aug 31, 2007

  3. Good discussion...

    having used VHDL for a few years now, and growing dissatisfied at C/C++
    for code on the host system, I have recently started looking at ADA.
    I've always been put off ADA because it is so "large and complex" ...
    well, C++ has changed all that, and ADA now looks remarkably compact, at
    least in comparison. Its similarity to VHDL probably helps, too.

    Instead of the mutual exclusivity thing, software programming languages
    face a similar issue in the decision between complete evaluation or
    short-circuit evaluation of boolean expressions.

    ADA's answer is to offer both ... "AND" and "OR" provide full
    evaluation, while short circuit evaluation is provided by the keywords
    "AND THEN", and "OR ELSE"

    So a valid logical expression could be

    the_bill_is_paid OR ELSE well_send_the_boys_round

    - Brian

    Brian Drummond, Sep 1, 2007