Orif Others

Brad Smallridge

I find the recent discussion of orif very
interesting. What better way to improve a
language by adding rhyming keywords.

But let's turn our attention to the aggregate
command OTHERS. Clearly we could add the word
MOTHERS; that would be a sort of master copy
of an aggragate that would spawn aggregates.
BROTHERS would inherit certain characteristics
from MOTHERS but not necessarilly the entire
bundle.

There isn't much choice in aggregates, not like
any #if #notif directives. So we should definetely
have our DROTHERS.

I also find that sometimes I want to change a few
items in long aggregate list without hunting down
the exact element, so a SMOTHERS would be ideal,
allowing you to change an element without a double
assignment error.

Nesting too might be useful like your SMOTHERS
BROTHERS. If you don't find that useful, well,
Mom always liked you best.

Brad Smallridge

Brian Drummond

I find the recent discussion of orif very
interesting. What better way to improve a
language by adding rhyming keywords.

But let's turn our attention to the aggregate
command OTHERS. Clearly we could add the word
MOTHERS; that would be a sort of master copy
of an aggragate that would spawn aggregates.
BROTHERS would inherit certain characteristics
from MOTHERS but not necessarilly the entire
bundle.

Good discussion...

having used VHDL for a few years now, and growing dissatisfied at C/C++
for code on the host system, I have recently started looking at ADA.
I've always been put off ADA because it is so "large and complex" ...
well, C++ has changed all that, and ADA now looks remarkably compact, at
least in comparison. Its similarity to VHDL probably helps, too.

Instead of the mutual exclusivity thing, software programming languages
face a similar issue in the decision between complete evaluation or
short-circuit evaluation of boolean expressions.

ADA's answer is to offer both ... "AND" and "OR" provide full
evaluation, while short circuit evaluation is provided by the keywords
"AND THEN", and "OR ELSE"

So a valid logical expression could be

the_bill_is_paid OR ELSE well_send_the_boys_round

- Brian