[OSX] side by side python

Robert

Can I install Python 2.7 and 3.2 (from python.org) side by side on OSX
without them stepping all over each other?

John Roth

Can I install Python 2.7 and 3.2 (from python.org) side by side on OSX
without them stepping all over each other?

Also look at PEP 394. It makes some suggestions about installing
symbolic links to each of the versions. If you do it that way, you can
use Python2 for scripts that require 2.7, and Python3 for scripts that
require 3.2, and they'll eventually be portable to other systems.

John Roth

Fabio

Robert said:
Can I install Python 2.7 and 3.2 (from python.org) side by side on OSX
without them stepping all over each other?

I have troubles with textwrangler, and I have the feeling it is related
to the fact that I have two different versions of Python installed.
I am on MacOSX 10.6.7.
I have the "built-in" Python2.5 which comes installed by "mother Apple".
Then I installed Python2.6, and left 2.5 untouched (I was suggested to
leave it on the system, since "something might need it").

I ran the "Update Shell Profile.command", and now if I launch "python"
in the terminal it happily launches the 2.6 version.
Then I installed some libraries (scipy and matplotlib).
They work, and everything is fine.

Then, I started to use TexWrangler, and I wanted to use the "shebang"
menu, and "run" command.
I have the "#! first line" pointing to the 2.6 version.
It works fine, as long as I don't import the libraries, in which case it
casts an error saying:
import scipy as sp
ImportError: No module named scipy

which makes me think that for some reason it points to the old 2.5
version. But I might be wrong and the problem is another...

Any clue?

Thanks

Fabio