OT: Best offline browser

Kevin Spencer

Define "best." It means different things to different people. For example,
to some people, George W.Bush would be the best U.S. president. To some
people, John Kerry would be the best U.S. president. Both men are in good
health (no known bugs). Which one is best? The difference is that some
people want the country run one way, and some people want the country run
another way.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Guest

IE is the most popular browser in the world right now. However, Mozilla and
FireFox have been making a BIG push recently. I like using FireFox because
it generally renders pages faster then IE. However, the memory usage is
higher, by ~3 MB, in FireFox on a Windows box. A friend made a good point on
this issue. IE is built into the OS in windows. As a result, part of it is
already running. So opening a new instance is less costly then opening a new
instance of FireFox. But, the actual footprint of IE is bigger then FireFox.

Another interesting point is the DoD or 9/11 commission (or some other
defense oriented US Gov organization) recently deemed IE a security risk and
banned internal usage.

I think this may be what you were looking for in response.

Andy

I think I've inadvertently sent people the wrong way.

When I said offline browsers I meant software which could copy a site and
allow for browsing (via IE, etc) when I'm disconnected from the internet.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

TJS

IE is the dominant browser but I'm becoming quite fond of FireFox.

It returns more pages correctly, runs faster and displays more images
correctly.

With IE I found too many pages returned as "page cannot be displayed" or red
x's in place of images.
With IE I also have problems with cookies and passport not working
correctly.

When I use FireFox there are no problems.