(OT) engines

Ken McD

Hi folks,

This may be slightly "OT", but I guess lots of people here are mechnically
minded!

I'm replacing my 1971 Cutlass Supreme which has a 350 cubic inch V-8. It
has terrific pick-up! When they talk about "liters" in the new cars, how
many liters correspond to my 350 V-8? What kind of new car would have the
zip this old Cutlass has?

Thanks for any advice.

~Kenny

Antoninus Twink

I'm replacing my 1971 Cutlass Supreme which has a 350 cubic inch V-8.
It has terrific pick-up! When they talk about "liters" in the new
cars, how many liters correspond to my 350 V-8? What kind of new car
would have the zip this old Cutlass has?

Holy crap! How many miles have you managed to put on that heap these
past 35 years?!

The liter is a European measure of engine size that somehow managed to
filter through into US common parlance. Quick calculation suggests your
engine is a 5.7 liter monster! They don't make engines like that for
midsize cars any more! Probably something to do with the oil price
crisis that was brewing at about the time your car was rolling off an
Oldsmobile production line.

Anyway, my brother-in-law has got a 2007 Toyota Camry (3.5 liter V6
engine). It's really lively and gets pretty good gas mileage - I think
you'd like it. Or the obvious choices (assuming you want another
midsize) are a Ford Taurus or a Honda Accord.

Martin Ambuhl

Ken said:
This may be slightly "OT",

Completely and irredeemably off-topic, as even the semiliterate would know.

But, taking the chance of encourage OT newsgroup pollution, here's the
answer anyway:

$ units -v '350 in^3' 'litre'
350 in^3 = 5.7354724 litre
350 in^3 = (1 / 0.17435355) litre