OT: gcc speed

Gernot Frisch

Hi,

Sorry for OT, but I didn't know where else to go. gnu.gcc.help didn't
help me and there's lot's of gcc users here, I know.

I have a project developed with eVC++ 4 and then compiled it with a
cross compiler, which makes the thing run about 20% slower. Now, the
GCC usually is way better than the MS compilers, but I don't know
why/how it's slower. It's compiled for an StrongARM prrocessor (no
FPU) and I use floating point ops a lot. How can I view the ASM code
produced by GCC for a given source file? Can I inle the code after
some modifications:

asm{"..."}; or do I have to put it in a seperate file (as I would have
to with eVC++)

Thank you,

--
-Gernot
int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf

Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
GLBasic - you can do
www.GLBasic.com

?

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=

I have a project developed with eVC++ 4 and then compiled it with a
cross compiler, which makes the thing run about 20% slower. Now, the
GCC usually is way better than the MS compilers, but I don't know
why/how it's slower.

I haven't run gcc for Pocket PC compilations.
I run Intel C++ Compiler and unlike Intel is writting
on the Web Site, I did not experience any more speed of my
programs. May be I did't use all optimizations of Intel C++ Comp.

I noticed that Intel produces about 10% bigger exe file.

Test your programs with Intel C++ Compiler (it integrates with
eVC++), it is available for 30 days evaluation period.

Greets

Gernot Frisch

Test your programs with Intel C++ Compiler (it integrates with
eVC++), it is available for 30 days evaluation period.

I have to redistibutre the compiler, thus: no intel.
Anyway, thank you,
Gernot

Ron Natalie

Mateusz £oskot said:
I haven't run gcc for Pocket PC compilations.
I run Intel C++ Compiler and unlike Intel is writting
on the Web Site, I did not experience any more speed of my
programs. May be I did't use all optimizations of Intel C++ Comp.
I can't vouch for the Pocket PC, but I can tell you, that while GCC
was faster decades ago than the OEM compiler, the OEM compilers
have almost all surpassed it. The Pentium code generator in GCC
is awful. Just about every platoform we use (Pentiums, SUN, SGI)
have faster proprietary compilers.