<OT> gcc -Wall

Ravi Uday

Hi,

Here is an explanation of -Wall option that is used with gcc ..

-Wall
All of the `-W' options combined. These are all
the options which pertain to usage that we recommend
avoiding and that we believe is easy to avoid, even in
conjunction with macros.

Can anyone help me why does the author recommend to avoid this option(s),
whereas in this group most of clc members recommend to do so before actually
posting the code.
Also the ( -pedantic ) is not recommended.
Any insight to this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi

Ben Pfaff

-Wall
All of the `-W' options combined. These are all
the options which pertain to usage that we recommend
avoiding and that we believe is easy to avoid, even in
conjunction with macros.

Can anyone help me why does the author recommend to avoid this option(s),
whereas in this group most of clc members recommend to do so before actually
posting the code.

Where does the text recommend avoiding this option? It says that
you should avoid the usages that -Wall warns against, not that
you should avoid -Wall.

Followups set.

Dan Pop

In said:
Where does the text recommend avoiding this option?

The text is rather poorly phrased and *can* be read the OP's way,
especially by non-native English speakers: the "we recommend avoiding"
can be easily connected to "these are all the options" and not to "usage".
It says that
you should avoid the usages that -Wall warns against, not that
you should avoid -Wall.

Indeed.

Dan