output unbuffered ?

mkjindal

What is the meaning of "$| = 1; # make output unbuffered" ?
I saw this in one of the earlier perl script but don't know exact
meaning of the same.
- "$|" is the OR of regexp after dollar sign.

Tad McClellan

What is the meaning of "$| = 1; # make output unbuffered" ?

All of Perl's special variables are documented in:

perldoc perlvar

Note that the comment above is not correct, output will still
be buffered.

- "$|" is the OR of regexp after dollar sign.

The funny characters mean different things when used in different places.

The funny characters above do not appear in a regex, so their
regex meanings are irrelevant.