OWC safe in ASP.NET?

CDARS

Dear all,

I understand that:
1) Server-Side Office automation is not recommended by MS (KB257757).
2) OWC is a client-side ActiveX Technology, NOT an ASP.NET server
control.
3) OWC9 has limitations used Server-Side, which are solved at OWC10
(KB317316)
4) Office XP/2003 PIA enables the use of office COM interface in .NET
Apps.

Requirements:
A Web Application with ASP.NET. To create/format/edit an Excel
Spreadsheet to be displayed at OWC at clients' IE. The application
will be STRESSED.

*** I REALLY need to answer the following QUESTIONS:

1) I install Office XP PIA and I create an OWC10 instance to format
the spreadsheet in code-behind ASP.NET. Am I doing something
discouraged at point 1 above?

2) If "YES", does the use of OWC11 makes anything better?

3) If "NO", what is KB317316 all about?

4) What do you recommend for my requirement?

It is troubling me for weeks, and I need the answer before being
fired.

Thank you so much you Pros.

Mythran

Ok, KB317316 is about the limitations of the OWC on the server. OWC (Office Web
Components) were designed for client-side use, not server-side...but because of
the functionality of the OWC, it is used server-side too much. As the article
states, it causes poor performance in a multi-threaded environment, Out Of Memory
errors, Automation Errors, and Thread Deadlocks.

So, to answer your questions:

1.) Yes, you are discouraged from using the OWC as a server-side solution. Not
prevented, just discouraged.

2.) The more recent version you use, the better. But still, it is discouraged
and unsupported.

4.) Possibly develop your own (or look up some third-party) components that do
not use the OWC.

Mythran

CDARS

Dear Both,

Thank so much for your quick and informative reply. You two save me
from a trap.

So I should put OWC at client page (.aspx) and do automation via
front-end VBScript. Such VBScript will be data-driven. I can do that
with classical ASP via "Response.Write". How should I do that in
ASP.NET code-behind (.vb)? A short example would be nice.

And for the choice of OWC version, what's the major functional
differences between OWC9/10/11? Most of my clients are running Office
2000. But in fact we have licenses for Office XP and 2003. Not
everyone loves new stuff.

John

Alvin Bruney said:
mythran is correct. but the way around your problem is to automate the
spreadsheet client-side instead of server automation.
This article explains your needs in a bit more detail
http://24.204.143.27/dotnet/tidbits/perf.doc

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Mythran said:
[...]

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

either 10 or 11, the are architecturally similar, but are very different
from 9. you can find some snippets of code on http://tinyurl.com/25cok for
asp.net

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Mythran said:
[...]

Dear Alvin,

I was off for a few days cause we had a typhoon in Hong Kong...
Thanks for your hints and direction.

I put all the VBScript from server-side to client-side. Just make a
string buffer and use the "RegisterStartupScript()". And we agree on
using OWC10.

OK. New problems come with new solution. The spreadsheet I am trying
to show is HUGE. I write a page which simply gets the data and
"Response.Write" in CSV style, and specify ".CSVURL" for clients.

However for the line in the CSV:
"abc,dskf", "", "0"

OWC10 shows ONE double-quote character at column B.
How can I correct this?
Or can I use "TAB" as delimiter?

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

yes that's a nasty little one. for csv files, commas aren't allowed in the
data. either replace the comma to whitespace or use another format like html
or xml

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

CDARS said:
[...]

For CSV, and importing....can't CDARS just make "," or ", " as the delimiter
rather than just a comma?

Mythran

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

i don't know the answer to that question. i suggest you try it, see if it
works

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

CDARS said:
[...]

"Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <vapor at steaming post office> wrote in
message
[...]

I try that out for several lines in CSV format:

ab,,123 (A1=ab | B1=[Empty] | C1=123)
"a,b","",123 (A2=a,b | B2=" | C2=123)
"a,b",,"12""3" (A3=a,b | B3=[Empty] | C3=12"3)

In this way I can solve the problem by always adding starting and
closing double quote to a value should if is not null. Also replace
all " in data to "".

I move on setting the formula. I want column C always equals the sum
of column A and B. I do it this way:

owc_Worksheet.Range("C1").Formula= "=Sum(A1,B1)"
owc_Worksheet.Range("C3").copy()
owc_Worksheet.Range("C4:C280").Select()
owc_Worksheet.Paste()

It works. But is this the way it should be? Is there anything easier?
Moreover I am confused between property "Locked" and method
"Protect()". How do they work? (I have persuaded myself that the
protection password will be exposed in VBScript.)

Thank you so much!

The funny stuff goes on for calling FreezePanes(). When called
directly the function fails and NOTHING happens within the OWC. A
work-around is putting the function call within a setTimeout() method.
The actual timeout, 1 ms or 1000 ms, doesn't matter. I observe this
kind of behavior when working with other ActivX Controls too
(TreeView, Grid), often for functions involving screen refresh /
re-draw. I guess it is an IE problem. Do you have more information?