Page Last Updated...

Toby Briggs

Hi there,

New to here!

I'm trying to find a script which let's people know when a page has been
last updated! I've got a script, but it gives the date as mm/dd/yyyy!

I would prefer dd/mm/yyyy or even something like Fri 28th November 2003.

How is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Toby

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Welcome.
I'm trying to find a script which let's people know when a page has been
last updated! I've got a script, but it gives the date as mm/dd/yyyy!
I would prefer dd/mm/yyyy or even something like Fri 28th November 2003.

I'd prefer the latter. The former is not appropriate for an international
page, since the reader can't know whether 03/04/2003 is 3rd of April or
4th of March, and standards differ between countries.

For the question, check the FAQ:
<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_30>
(then read it all :)

/L

Toby Briggs

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen said:
Welcome.

I'd prefer the latter. The former is not appropriate for an international
page, since the reader can't know whether 03/04/2003 is 3rd of April or
4th of March, and standards differ between countries.

For the question, check the FAQ:
<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_30>
(then read it all :)

Sorry to say, but that went straight over my head! :eek:(

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
Toby Briggs <toby@no_spam_twbriggs.freeserve.
co.uk> posted at Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:50:12 :-
New to here!

It is wise to seek and read its FAQ before posting to a newsgroup. Jim
Ley posts the relevant part on Mon & Fri.
I'm trying to find a script which let's people know when a page has been
last updated! I've got a script, but it gives the date as mm/dd/yyyy!

Possibly not. It probably localises for the reader's computer's
settings as chosen by Microsoft; the result may be quite different in
Japan.
I would prefer dd/mm/yyyy or even something like Fri 28th November 2003.

The former is acceptable in a restricted area; for example a part of the
UK free of Americans. Internationally, you should use YYYY-MM-DD, which
will be understood everywhere, for a fixed short form; or trust that the
reader is accustomed to his browser.
How is this possible?

See below. The best way is to type the date, as text, on the page in
question; that way, the date need not be changed for unimportant changes
in the contents, such as the correction of non-deceptive typos.

Fabian

Dr John Stockton hu kiteb:
The former is acceptable in a restricted area; for example a part of
the UK free of Americans. Internationally, you should use
YYYY-MM-DD, which will be understood everywhere, for a fixed short
form; or trust that the reader is accustomed to his browser.

The standard conventional form happens to be dd/mm/yyyy (sometimes
punctuated with a dot instead) in most of Europe too, not just the UK.
Personally, I think either the iso yyyy/mm/dd should be used, or else
the month should be spelt out either in full or as a TLA.

news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Dr John Stockton hu kiteb:

The standard conventional form happens to be dd/mm/yyyy (sometimes
punctuated with a dot instead) in most of Europe too, not just the UK.
Personally, I think either the iso yyyy/mm/dd should be used, or else
the month should be spelt out either in full or as a TLA.

In quite a bit of Europe, but AIUI by no means in all. Given the OP's
name & ISP, I felt that the UK provided a sufficient example.

ISO actually calls for yyyy-mm-dd, which alas is not directly readable
as a string by [all] javascript implementations.