Passing User Values from screen to screen

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Russell, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Hi there,
    I'm currently creating a .NET Web Application and I have a question about
    passing values from one screen to another. I previously used Session
    variables in the code to store these values, however I can no longer use
    this method because of my current website "Cloaking" the URL. (When site is
    cloked, the session variables don't seem to work with frames)

    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could offer an alternative, I have tried
    using the querystring however this isn't secure as users can type different
    values in the URL path and possibly have access to resources they are not
    supposed to.

    My question is are there alternatives to pass values that the user has
    selected from one point to another, I guess I can drive it by the database
    so long as I can always store their UserID once logged in somewhere but that
    brings me back to the original question, how does the UserID store itself
    throughout the duration of the users session without using the server
    session variable.

    Any help appreciated.

    Regards, Russell

    Russell, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Here's a nice, simple way to pass values from one page to another:
    (VB.NET code)

    'Add data to the context object before transferring
    Context.Items("myParameter") = x
    Server.Transfer("WebForm2.aspx")

    Then, in WebForm2.aspx:

    'Grab data from the context property
    Dim x as Integer = CType(Context.Items("myParameter"),Integer)

    Of course there are a number of ways to pass values from one page to
    another, such as using the querystring, cookies, session,
    context, saving to a temporary table in the database between each page, etc.
    You'll have to decide which technique is best for your application.
    Here are several good articles on the subject to help you decide.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/04/ASPNETUserState/default.aspx

    http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/passval.aspx

    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=600

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Jan 21, 2004