Password hash

Robert Montgomery

I am writing a script that will send an email using an account I set up
in gmail. It is an smtp server using tls on port 587, and I would like
to use a password hash in the (python) script for login rather than
plain text. Is this do-able? Details please.

Ramchandra Apte

I am writing a script that will send an email using an account I set up

in gmail. It is an smtp server using tls on port 587, and I would like

to use a password hash in the (python) script for login rather than

plain text. Is this do-able? Details please.

No. The password is encrypted with TLS I think so I believe you shouldn't worry much about security.

Ramchandra Apte

I am writing a script that will send an email using an account I set up

in gmail. It is an smtp server using tls on port 587, and I would like

to use a password hash in the (python) script for login rather than

plain text. Is this do-able? Details please.

No. The password is encrypted with TLS I think so I believe you shouldn't worry much about security.

Ian Kelly

No. The password is encrypted with TLS I think so I believe you shouldn't worry much about security.

The smtplib module automatically uses CRAM-MD5 for authentication if
it is available. If you wanted to use some other hashing scheme then
I guess you would have to implement it yourself by overriding
SMTP.login, or find another SMTP module that already supports it.

The above comment about security is bad advice. Security is all about
layers. Just because the data stream is already encrypted (read:
decryptable) does not mean that password digests are a waste of time.
In fact, the two techniques are usually considered complementary: the
encryption process protects your application data, while the password
hashing protects your authentication details.

Peter Pearson

I am writing a script that will send an email using an account I set up
in gmail. It is an smtp server using tls on port 587, and I would like
to use a password hash in the (python) script for login rather than
plain text. Is this do-able? Details please.

No, *you* need to provide details. Security problems nearly always
emerge from the details, so it's important to be as clear as possible
about what you want to achieve and what the threat is.