"Path 'POST' is forbidden"

Ollie

I have wrriten a reverse proxy for a client of mine, this reverse proxy
takes the url takes it attempt to access a *.XXXX and returns the the
contents of an aspx web page from another internal server, the user then
clicks on a button on the page that then posts data to the reverse proxy and
it routes to the correct page by creating a web request and setting the
method to post. (the reverse proxy is written using the IHttpHandler
interface in .Net).

This all works in development and UAT but fails in production giving the
following error (see below) all servers are windows 2003 server with IIS6.0.
I realise this must be a configuration issue, the configs are the same for
production, dev & UAT machines.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Ollie

Path 'POST' is forbidden.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Path 'POST' is forbidden.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Path 'POST' is forbidden.]
System.Web.HttpMethodNotAllowedHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionSte
p.Execute()
completedSynchronously) +87

Joerg Jooss

Ollie said:
[...]

It seems that in your web.config you're missing your handler's entry in the
<httpHandlers> section or it's does not say <add verb="*" ...> or <add
verb="GET,HEAD,POST" ...>.

Cheers,

Ollie

Joerg,

I have added the HttpHandler in the definition to the web config....

<add verb="*" path="uat.XXXXX" type="HttpHandlers.XXXXX, HttpHandlers"/>

Cheers anyway

Ollie

Joerg Jooss said:
Ollie said:
[...]

correction, I had already added this line to the web.config so this is no
the answer

Ollie

Joerg Jooss said:
Ollie said:
[...]

Jerry Pisk

Of course it isn't. Asp.Net will not let you handle POST requests when you
specify a single path in your handler definition. If you want to handle POST
requests you have to use wildcard extension mapping. I can't think of a
reason why would they ever do this but hey, it's Microsoft. There's nothing
you can do about this AFAIK, short of re-writing the Asp.Net runtime.

Oh and this is a Asp.Net problem, not CLR problem, not IIS problem and
definitely not IIS Security problem.

Jerry

Joerg Jooss said:
Ollie wrote:
[...]

the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace
below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Path 'POST' is forbidden.]
System.Web.HttpMethodNotAllowedHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext
context)
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionSte
p.Execute()
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
Boolean&