    We are using w2k and sql2K

    Thanks for your help

    Alex

    Alex Callea, Nov 8, 2004

  2. The traffic increases by 15%. The traffic passes through IIS. The
    application in IIS calls SQL Server.

    If I'm right, then this suggests that the behaviors correlate.

    John Saunders

    John Saunders, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Alex Callea

    Alex Callea Guest

    I know it's correlated but my question was to know if the increase number of
    locks had cpu usage consequences on IIS.

    We already noticed that the number of web requests being processed has huge
    impact on webservers CPUs.
    I'd like to know if the same apply with SQL locks(e.g. ADO.NET objects need
    to wait more resulting in an increase of page processing time, etc...) as
    the SQL server CPUs are almost not impacted by the increased traffic.
    Thanks

    Alex

    Alex Callea, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Alex, I am certainly not an expert on IIS performance, but I can't think why
    it would in any way be affected by SQL Server locks.

    John

    John Saunders, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Alex Callea

    David Browne Guest

    The relationship is probably indirect. Sql Server locks are a directly
    related to the volume of work being done by Sql Server. Locks don't
    indicate that clients are waiting, just that they are doing stuff. Reading
    tables generates shared locks, updating tables generates update or exclusive
    locks, etc. So the more work, the more locks.

    David

    David Browne, Nov 9, 2004