    Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

    T I A

    ~cryptonewbie

    bharat.shetty, Nov 3, 2004

  2. wrote in

    That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go ahead
    and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted here
    regularly and you can also Google for the document).
    That's your problem.
    Do we have to exchange fluids?
    perldoc -q book

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Dear Sinan,

    for once I have to agree with those claiming that sometimes
    newbies/newcomers are treated too harshly here. In particular this one
    has asked gently and has *not* asked a question about
    webserver/html/whatever having little to nothing to do with perl, as
    many others do. So indeed IMHO it may be sensible to direct him to a
    better resource, but I don't see the point in being rude to him,
    especially since he has not been particularly rude to the group, for
    the question may well be partly OT, but it is also likely to find good
    answers from people subscribing clpmisc.
    "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" or also "Keep It Straight and Simple".

    Just my 2 Eurocents,
    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Nov 3, 2004
  4. That is definitely true.

    On the other hand, this would be a perfect trolling article.
    http://www.google.com/, maybe?

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Let me get this straight. You want someone to give you an idea for a project
    that has never been done before but is easy to do because you are a newbie?

    There is little that is available on windows that is not available on Linux
    especially if it is a CGI based application. Infact I would go as far as saying
    that there is nothing inherently windows or Linux about a CGI application in the
    first place.

    I would settle for something that you understand and is within your abilities.
    Look at various applications on the web and see which one strikes you as 'I
    could do that, only better!' and go with it.

    Peter Hickman, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Keep in mind that the *real* purpose of this script is to pass the
    assignment. Whatever else it does is incidental. Just pick any of the
    classic stereotype CGIs - form to email is a good one - and run with it.

    You *really* don't want to release a class project to the world anyway.
    If you do, you could easily find yourself stuck spending the next ten
    years supporting that code and asking yourself "wtf was I thinking".

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Nov 3, 2004
  7. bharat.shetty

    krakle Guest

    Then you don't have a project to develop... And who cares if something
    has already been done... Make it better.. Don't be scared of
    competition...
    WHAT project? You don't have a project! You said you want to develop a
    simple application... Why the hell would someone give you ANY unique
    ideas?????
    Are you a complete idiot? Why would ANYONE do that for you? Odds are,
    if any of us had any ideas we would make it ourselves...
    If you don't have much time left for ideas then you don't have ANYTIME
    to program at all...
    I think you should read Perl books for beginners then novice. Get
    familiar with databases.. Then maybe you will come up with some
    ideas...

    Oh yea you are a complete moron...

    krakle, Nov 4, 2004
  8. bharat.shetty

    Si Ballenger Guest

    Have you ever tried decaff? ;-)

    Si Ballenger, Nov 4, 2004
  9. A random story generator based upon user input. It's simple and can
    be fun. I don't think there's hundreds of scripts out there that do
    this (at least, none of any consequence).

    If one has coded properly and for portability, it doesn't matter
    what OS or web server software you use (re the comment about "...
    doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze"). This is/was the idea behind
    the CGI (Common Gateway Interface) to begin with - OS independence :)

    HTH

    Jim

    James Willmore, Nov 4, 2004
  10. bharat.shetty