Perl CGI project ideas

bharat.shetty

Hi all,

We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
whatever I thought is being done . Could anyone provide me with gist of
ideas for my project. I would appreciate if someone points me to a
necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze. Since
I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.
Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

T I A

~cryptonewbie

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in

We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase

That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go ahead
and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted here
regularly and you can also Google for the document).
I dont have too much time left,

That's your problem.
really K I S S ideas are requested.

Do we have to exchange fluids?
Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

perldoc -q book

Sinan.

Michele Dondi

That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go ahead
and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted here
regularly and you can also Google for the document).

That's your problem.

Dear Sinan,

for once I have to agree with those claiming that sometimes
newbies/newcomers are treated too harshly here. In particular this one
has asked gently and has *not* asked a question about
webserver/html/whatever having little to nothing to do with perl, as
many others do. So indeed IMHO it may be sensible to direct him to a
better resource, but I don't see the point in being rude to him,
especially since he has not been particularly rude to the group, for
the question may well be partly OT, but it is also likely to find good
answers from people subscribing clpmisc.
Do we have to exchange fluids?

"Keep It Simple, Stupid!" or also "Keep It Straight and Simple".

Just my 2 Eurocents,
Michele

A. Sinan Unur

for once I have to agree with those claiming that sometimes
newbies/newcomers are treated too harshly here. In particular this one
has asked gently and has *not* asked a question about
webserver/html/whatever having little to nothing to do with perl,

That is definitely true.

On the other hand, this would be a perfect trolling article.
So indeed IMHO it may be sensible to direct him to a better
resource, but I don't see the point in being rude to him,

http://www.google.com/, maybe?

Sinan.

Peter Hickman

Hi all,

We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
whatever I thought is being done . Could anyone provide me with gist of
ideas for my project. I would appreciate if someone points me to a
necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze. Since
I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.
Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

T I A

~cryptonewbie

Let me get this straight. You want someone to give you an idea for a project
that has never been done before but is easy to do because you are a newbie?

There is little that is available on windows that is not available on Linux
especially if it is a CGI based application. Infact I would go as far as saying
that there is nothing inherently windows or Linux about a CGI application in the
first place.

I would settle for something that you understand and is within your abilities.
Look at various applications on the web and see which one strikes you as 'I
could do that, only better!' and go with it.

Sherm Pendley

I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
whatever I thought is being done.

Keep in mind that the *real* purpose of this script is to pass the
assignment. Whatever else it does is incidental. Just pick any of the
classic stereotype CGIs - form to email is a good one - and run with it.

You *really* don't want to release a class project to the world anyway.
If you do, you could easily find yourself stuck spending the next ten
years supporting that code and asking yourself "wtf was I thinking".

sherm--

krakle

Hi all,

We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
whatever I thought is being done .

Then you don't have a project to develop... And who cares if something
has already been done... Make it better.. Don't be scared of
competition...
Could anyone provide me with gist of
ideas for my project.

WHAT project? You don't have a project! You said you want to develop a
simple application... Why the hell would someone give you ANY unique
ideas?????
I would appreciate if someone points me to a
necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze.

Are you a complete idiot? Why would ANYONE do that for you? Odds are,
if any of us had any ideas we would make it ourselves...
Since
I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.

If you don't have much time left for ideas then you don't have ANYTIME
to program at all...
Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

I think you should read Perl books for beginners then novice. Get
familiar with databases.. Then maybe you will come up with some
ideas...

Oh yea you are a complete moron...

Si Ballenger

Then you don't have a project to develop... And who cares if something
has already been done... Make it better.. Don't be scared of
competition...

WHAT project? You don't have a project! You said you want to develop a
simple application... Why the hell would someone give you ANY unique
ideas?????

Are you a complete idiot? Why would ANYONE do that for you? Odds are,
if any of us had any ideas we would make it ourselves...

If you don't have much time left for ideas then you don't have ANYTIME
to program at all...

I think you should read Perl books for beginners then novice. Get
familiar with databases.. Then maybe you will come up with some
ideas...

Oh yea you are a complete moron...

Have you ever tried decaff? ;-)

James Willmore

We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
whatever I thought is being done . Could anyone provide me with gist of
ideas for my project. I would appreciate if someone points me to a
necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze. Since
I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.
Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

A random story generator based upon user input. It's simple and can
be fun. I don't think there's hundreds of scripts out there that do
this (at least, none of any consequence).

If one has coded properly and for portability, it doesn't matter
what OS or web server software you use (re the comment about "...
doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze"). This is/was the idea behind
the CGI (Common Gateway Interface) to begin with - OS independence :)

HTH

Jim