Perl loops should use break, not last

Jeremy Morton

Probably been mentioned before but I fail to see why Perl changed the
'break' keyword to 'last', in loops. Bear with me on this - it seems
semantically more accurate to say 'break' - you're immediately breaking out
of the loop. 'last' makes it sound like the current loop will be the last,
but not that the execution should be stopped immediately, whereas break
makes it sound like the latter.

Where can I propose that this be changed, or break aliased to last, for Perl
6?

Big and Blue

Jeremy said:
Bear with me on this - it seems
semantically more accurate to say 'break' - you're immediately breaking out
of the loop. 'last' makes it sound like the current loop will be the last,

The semantics of 'break' or 'last' are defined by the language (in this
case Perl), not by you.

Why not think of 'last' as "this is the last statement to run for the
loop".

It's always struck me as odd that the 'continue' statement in 'C'
starts the next pass of a loop. This is definitely a strange use of the
concept of "continue". But it is the semantics of 'C', so I accept it.
By trying to map particular programming concepts into single English words
with exisiting meaning there is always going to be some sort of mismatching
oddity.