Persisting Component Datatypes in Custom Controls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Garry McGlennon, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. *** Appologies if a very similar version of this appears
    in the group ***

    I noticed my question has been answered before but I'm not
    very clear on its solution:

    However, I didn't quite understand the answer. It appears
    they copied the code used in the Framework, but I don't
    see how it relates to a simple control. I have the exact
    same issue as the originating user.

    If I create a class which is derived from Component and
    have a property on my control which has the class as a
    return type the IDE quite nicely gives me a drop down list
    of all those components on the page. It doesn't however
    convert from the string representation to the instance an
    vis versa.

    If there is an article on this subject (specific not
    general TypeConverter - read a bit already) then that
    would be good otherwise a simple sample with only the code
    necessary to get it to work would be extremely helpful.

    I look forward any suggestions.

    Regards
    Garry McGlennon

    Garry McGlennon, Jun 21, 2004