PHP like documentation?

Pavan Mishra

I was wondering if I can use python documentation source
(reStructuredText) and restructure it along the lines of PHP
documentation. Allowing users to add comments, improving search etc.

I was thinking if it would be useful.

Jaap van Wingerde

Pavan said:
I was wondering if I can use python documentation source
(reStructuredText) and restructure it along the lines of PHP
documentation. Allowing users to add comments, improving search etc.
I was thinking if it would be useful.

Very good idea!

J. Clifford Dyer

I was wondering if I can use python documentation source
(reStructuredText) and restructure it along the lines of PHP
documentation. Allowing users to add comments, improving search etc.

I was thinking if it would be useful.

I think it would be useful to have somewhere, but I'm -1 on replacing
the official documentation with it. I like having the official
documentation more... official. I like that what you see there has been
fully vetted, edited, and tested. If there's something wrong with it,
fix it. If you've got a helpful tip, add it, but it shouldn't be as
easy as commenting to add to the official documentation. You could
argue that the documentation itself is official, and the comments are
not, but I like not having to worry about what part of the page I'm
looking at. I also like that google only indexes the official
documentation, and not the comments.

As I said, it could be very helpful, and I'm not against people having a
place to share their advice, but I'd rather see it happen somewhere
besides python.org.

Just my thought.

Terry Reedy

Pavan said:
I was wondering if I can use python documentation source
(reStructuredText) and restructure it along the lines of PHP
documentation. Allowing users to add comments, improving search etc.

I presume the docs that are part of the distribution are covered by the
rather liberal Python license, which is included with the doc set.