Ping Implementation in Python

Mrown

Hi,
I was wondering if there was a ping implementation written in
Python. I'd rather using a Python module that implements ping in a
platform/OS-independent way than rely on the underlying OS, especially
as every OS has a different implementation. Furthermore, if you're
going to ping a large number of IPs, using a module would probably be
a lot faster. Any ideas if such a module exists? Thanks.

Chris Mellon

Hi,
I was wondering if there was a ping implementation written in
Python. I'd rather using a Python module that implements ping in a
platform/OS-independent way than rely on the underlying OS, especially
as every OS has a different implementation. Furthermore, if you're
going to ping a large number of IPs, using a module would probably be
a lot faster. Any ideas if such a module exists? Thanks.

There's no point in having a script that pings things, especially
large numbers of IPs. If you really want to do network scanning other
tools for that already exist.

Mrown

There's no point in having a script that pings things, especially
large numbers of IPs. If you really want to do network scanning other
tools for that already exist.

Thanks. Actually, I was more interested in the OS neutral part than
in pinging a large number of IPs. Instead, I want to ping a number of
IPs (under 10) in an OS/platform independent manner and take the
necessary action depending on the results. Thanks.

Lorenzo Mainardi

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita, mi ritrovai con Mrown che diceva:
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a ping implementation written in
Python. I'd rather using a Python module that implements ping in a
platform/OS-independent way than rely on the underlying OS, especially
as every OS has a different implementation. Furthermore, if you're
going to ping a large number of IPs, using a module would probably be a
lot faster. Any ideas if such a module exists? Thanks.

Get Scapy, it's one of the best tool for this kind of problem, and it's
Python based

Mrown

Roger said:

Thanks for your replies. I'll probably start invesigating with
Roger's suggestion. Scapy would definitely be able to do the job, but
it's a little too much if all I want is to ping the host.
Furthermore, to even get it to run on an OS such as Windows, you have
to install a number of additional packages (refer to
http://trac.secdev.org/scapy/wiki/WindowsInstallationGuide) which will
make deployment in an OS/platform neutral way more difficult.