popup window

mac

Hi all,

Is there a way to force pop up windows even if the browser
preferences
is set to block pop windows, for onload event? using javascript....

Note: for onload event

-mac

Evertjan.

mac wrote on 05 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
Is there a way to force pop up windows even if the browser
preferences
is set to block pop windows, for onload event? using javascript....
No.

Note: for onload event

What does that matter?

mac

mac wrote on 05 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

What does that matter?

hi...yes it matters. i want to unblock the poup using
programming....pls give something useful

Evertjan.

mac wrote on 05 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

[Please do not quote signatures on usenet]
hi...yes it matters. i want to unblock the poup using
programming....pls give something useful

It does not, not possible == not possible.
....pls give something useful

Furthermore it would be very impolite
to your users if it were possible.

Is your caps key broken?

mac

mac wrote on 05 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

[Please do not quote signatures on usenet]
hi...yes it matters. i want to unblock the poup using
programming....pls give something useful

It does not, not possible == not possible.
....pls give something useful

Furthermore it would be very impolite
to your users if it were possible.

Is your caps key broken?

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestons.
-Mac

SAM

Le 11/5/08 10:31 AM, rf a écrit :
Assuming you mean div rather than biv,
Yes.

please do not advise anybody to do
this to their viewers.

Why ?
What? Where? All I see is a broken page.

Not me.
(or perhaps didn't you really try to see ?)
(I'm OK to say it is a bit dirty)

David Mark

ok. that means its not possible.
thanks for guiding.

Seems something finally sunk in. Additional guidance is to stop
trying to open new browser windows (invariably for ads.) It isn't
your browser. Leave it alone.

rf

SAM said:
Le 11/5/08 10:31 AM, rf a écrit :

Why ?

Why do browsers block popup windows? Because the users of those browsers
demanded that they do so.

What happens when a page unexpectedly simulates a popup using this method?
The user gets bloody cranky.

The absolute worst case is when a page pops up one on load, and
obscures/greys out the rest of the page. You have to do something to dismiss
the unwanted popup (and they all work differently) before accessing the
content of the page. Makes me real damn cranky, especially when said popup
is an ad or something that has nothing at all to do with what I have just
googled for. Far worse then those splash pages the now seem to be dying out.
I suspect this is exactly what the OP wants to do.
Not me.
http://barefile.com.au/test/popup.png

(or perhaps didn't you really try to see ?)
(I'm OK to say it is a bit dirty)

On re-examining the page I have determined that yes, there is actually a div
there that can be dragged around. However it simply does *not* look like any
sort of popup I have ever seen. The total lack of borders around it makes
the whole page look like you have re-discovered the IE broken box model.

If it takes me several minutes to figure out what is going on (and I have
been writing pages that contain such draggable divs for ages) then what hope
does your average viewer have?

At least put a border around the thing. A different background colour would
be an assist as well.

And don't ever ever pop it up unless the viewer has requested it and knows
that it is going to appear.

SAM

Le 11/5/08 11:44 PM, rf a écrit :
Why do browsers block popup windows? Because the users of those browsers
demanded that they do so.

What happens when a page unexpectedly simulates a popup using this method?
The user gets bloody cranky.

Pas forcément.
All depends.

I'm absolutely OK with you : that must be useful to the displayed page.
Anyway that's only a JS result, and You can disabled it.
(and all must work without JS)

(snip)
I suspect this is exactly what the OP wants to do.

Possible, who can know ?
It's not our problem.

Yes, that's what I see.
And ... yes, I'd too get some difficulties to see it.
(seems to be an old page (with original and personal code))
At least put a border around the thing. A different background colour would
be an assist as well.

That was not one of my pages.
Only an example among so much others ones on the web.
Perhaps would you prefer this one :
<http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/> ?

rf

SAM said:
Le 11/5/08 11:44 PM, rf a écrit :

Yes, that's what I see.
And ... yes, I'd too get some difficulties to see it.
(seems to be an old page (with original and personal code))

That was not one of my pages.
Only an example among so much others ones on the web.
Perhaps would you prefer this one :
<http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/> ?

"build using the super lightweight jQuery library"

Er, no thanks.

My own draggable "popup" works quite fine for me and comes in at 5K
uncompressed *incuding* comments, not the 80K or so that thing is.

SAM

Le 11/6/08 11:45 PM, rf a écrit :
"build using the super lightweight jQuery library"

Yeap ! :-(
My own draggable "popup" works quite fine for me and comes in at 5K
uncompressed *incuding* comments, not the 80K or so that thing is.

and where is this famous script ?

Talia Beldon

OMG...

This is a javascript forum. Not a forum on web-ethics or
how-not-to-piss-off-your-users. This is supposed to be a place to get
javascript help, but out of the 15 or so postings only about three of
them actually contained any real help. The rest were preaching at the
OP about the 'evils' of popups.

'No... but here's an alternative' or even a simple 'no' would have been
helpful... minus the snide remarks.

Who cares what he wants to do with popups. Assuming that he's going to
put ads on it is self righteous hubris. And if he does, so what. If
his users don't like it, they simply wont go to his page. You don't
like that google links to such pages, don't use google... but apparently
the benefits of google outweigh the drawbacks.

It's just as likely that the OP wanted to use popups to auto popup a
login screen if the browser does not have a cookie or session. Or maybe
he wanted to popup additional info about a page on its first load (why I
originally searched for popup onload in google - but I guess I'm not
gonna find my answer here either).

[...]

AND in my case it happens to be for a company intranet, so yeah... it IS
my browser.