Private Bytes vs. # Bytes in all Heaps in Perfmon

Jason Collins

Win 2K3 Server; Framework 1.1

If I look at the asp.net process in perfmon, it reports 650,000,000 bytes
for Memory:private Bytes, yet .NET CLR Memory:# Bytes in all Heaps reports
only 80,650,000 bytes.

Why the large discrepancy? Does the ASP.NET process just have a huge amount
of unallocated heap? If so, doesn't the difference indicated here seem
excessive?

Thanks,

bruce barker

private bytes includes all code, managed data and unmanaged data. also clr
memory bytes is the usage of the heap, not the heap size.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Frank Lee[MSFT]

Hi Jason,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup!

As you know the CLR is loaded into the ASP.NET process(it's aspnet_wp.exe
in IIS5).The application domains are defined within the process, and your
code is executed within those domains. As Bruce said, there are many others
take the memory except CLR. And the ASP.NET local managed heap is not a
part of CLR , but private bytes includes it. So it's reasonable for the
perform data you have seen.

Best Regards,

Frank Lee
Microsoft Online Support