Problem Accessing database

Pacific Design Studios

I'm running ASP on IIS 5. My users who are on the network can access our
database. Any users from the internet "outside" the network can't access it.
We don't have a firewall. Our Windows Server crashed and ever since then its
been a problem.

Any suggestions. I think it is a setting in IIS.

Thanks.

(e-mail address removed)

Ray at

Are your users trying to access the database (what kind?) or is IUSR on the
server trying to? Is this extranet vs. intranet? Two separate sites in
IIS? Does one use anonymous access and the other does not?

Ray at work

Pacific Design Studios

Users are trying to login to a database. Login with password. One site in
IIS.
But for some reason the users that happen to be working on the network can
login where as the people outside on the internet can't.

Ray at

There's still some info lacking.

1. What does "can't" mean, exactly? Error?

2. What kind of SQL authentication are you using? SQL Server or trusted
(NT).

Ray at work

Pacific Design Studios

Okay. I have more info. Permission is setup for the iuser account. Website
has anonymous access checked. Home directory has read and write checked. The
database is a SQL Server database that holds the username and password. The
folders have the correct access. We used a file DSN.
It is bazzare that the people on the intranet can access it but the users on
the internet can't. The server crashed last week and since then it hasn't
worked.

Thanks.

Pacific Design Studios

SQL Authenication is Mixed. SQL Server and Windows.
Since last week the login process doesn't work because when you access the
database for the login name and password you get the generic IIS 500 error.

Ray at said:
There's still some info lacking.

1. What does "can't" mean, exactly? Error?

2. What kind of SQL authentication are you using? SQL Server or trusted
(NT).

Ray at work

Pacific Design Studios said:
Okay. I have more info. Permission is setup for the iuser account. Website
has anonymous access checked. Home directory has read and write checked. The
database is a SQL Server database that holds the username and password. The
folders have the correct access. We used a file DSN.
It is bazzare that the people on the intranet can access it but the
users
on
the internet can't. The server crashed last week and since then it hasn't
worked.

Thanks.

Ray at said:
What kind of database?

Ray at work
message Users are trying to login to a database. Login with password. One
site
in
IIS.
But for some reason the users that happen to be working on the
network
can
login where as the people outside on the internet can't.

Are your users trying to access the database (what kind?) or is
IUSR
on
the
server trying to? Is this extranet vs. intranet? Two separate
sites

Pacific Design Studios

Here is the error message:

A Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error - '80004005'

Server does not exist or access denied

Ray at said:
Okay, so let's find out what the error is then.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2109

Ray at work

Pacific Design Studios said:
SQL Authenication is Mixed. SQL Server and Windows.
Since last week the login process doesn't work because when you access the
database for the login name and password you get the generic IIS 500 error.

Ray at

Things to check:

1. Is IIS server able to resolve your SQL Server's IP by name? (WINS, DNS,
browser service, etc.?)
2. Are you passing valid login credentials? (Can you connect to the server
in query analyzer with these same credentials?)

Ray at work

Pacific Design Studios said:
Here is the error message:

A Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error - '80004005'

Server does not exist or access denied

Jeff Cochran

If you're using Mixed Authentication, are your internet users
authenticating? Potentially the internal users have access as a
domain user.

Your 500 error translating to an Access Denied message makes me
suspect an account got left out, password changed, etc.

Also, what *exactly* happened last week when the process stopped
working?

Jeff

Ray at said:
There's still some info lacking.

1. What does "can't" mean, exactly? Error?

2. What kind of SQL authentication are you using? SQL Server or trusted
(NT).

Ray at work

users

===================================
Jeff Cochran (IIS MVP)
(e-mail address removed) - Munged of Course

I don't get much time to respond to direct email,
so posts here will have a better chance of getting
an answer. Besides, everyone benefits here.

Suggested resources:
http://www.iisfaq.com/
http://www.iisanswers.com/
http://www.iistoolshed.com/