Problem installing Email-Send package

I'm trying to setup perl (I have ActivePerl 5.8.8) so I can install Bugzilla
3.0.2 on Windows XP Pro, and Email-Send is one of the recquired packages.

When I try to install this package I get this message:

C:\Program Files\bugzilla-3.0.2>ppm install Email-Send
ppm install failed: Installing Module-Pluggable-3.01 for Email-Send would
downgrade Devel::InnerPackage from version 0.3 to 0.2, Module::pluggable
from version 3.6 to 3.01, and Module::pluggable::Object from version 3.6 to
0; use --force to install regardless

Any ideas how to fix this? Is it ok to force the installation despite the
warning?

Thanks,

Ben Morrow

Quoth "a said:
I'm trying to setup perl (I have ActivePerl 5.8.8) so I can install Bugzilla
3.0.2 on Windows XP Pro, and Email-Send is one of the recquired packages.

When I try to install this package I get this message:

C:\Program Files\bugzilla-3.0.2>ppm install Email-Send
ppm install failed: Installing Module-Pluggable-3.01 for Email-Send would
downgrade Devel::InnerPackage from version 0.3 to 0.2, Module::pluggable
from version 3.6 to 3.01, and Module::pluggable::Object from version 3.6 to
0; use --force to install regardless

Any ideas how to fix this? Is it ok to force the installation despite the
warning?

Since Email::Send is pure-Perl, I'd probably just get ahold of nmake
(it's a free download from Microsoft: see perldoc perlwin32) and install
it with CPAN.pm. If any of the dependancies fail, you'll need to install
them manually with ppm (roll on Strawberry Perl, I say :) ).

OTOH, unless you have something that already depends on the installed
versions of M::p and D::IP, downgrading them shouldn't cause you any
problems.

Ben

Since Email::Send is pure-Perl, I'd probably just get ahold of nmake
(it's a free download from Microsoft: see perldoc perlwin32) and install
it with CPAN.pm. If any of the dependancies fail, you'll need to install
them manually with ppm (roll on Strawberry Perl, I say :) ).

Thanks for the info, but to be honest, I'm not knowledgeable in Perl, and
also all I want to do is install Bugzilla, so I'd rather take the easy way
if possible - do you know if there is a pre-built version of this module out
there that would fix this? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem
as it's the result of following the installation instructions to the letter.
I actually found other posts reporting something similar on the web, but no
solution.
OTOH, unless you have something that already depends on the installed
versions of M::p and D::IP, downgrading them shouldn't cause you any
problems.

I don't know how to tell if there is another dependency on these, but from
the names, they sound like very basic packages, so there probably is.
Bugzilla requires a large number of other modules...

Thanks,

Ben Morrow

[please attribute quotations]

Quoth "a said:
[ said:
Since Email::Send is pure-Perl, I'd probably just get ahold of nmake
(it's a free download from Microsoft: see perldoc perlwin32) and install
it with CPAN.pm. If any of the dependancies fail, you'll need to install
them manually with ppm (roll on Strawberry Perl, I say :) ).

Thanks for the info, but to be honest, I'm not knowledgeable in Perl, and
also all I want to do is install Bugzilla,

:) I sympathise. Unfortunately, installing large packages like this is
often not as straightforward as it could be, particularly on Win32. A
lot of open source people consider Win32 to be 'not their problem'.
so I'd rather take the easy way if possible - do you know if there is
a pre-built version of this module out there that would fix this? I'm
sure I'm not the only one with this problem as it's the result of
following the installation instructions to the letter. I actually
found other posts reporting something similar on the web, but no
solution.

This is not actually a problem with Bugzilla, or with Email::Send, but
with ActiveState's ppm repository. They really shouldn't provide
packages with inconsistent dependancies like this. To give them their
due, producing binary packages for essentially the whole of CPAN is not
an easy task, and it's hardly surprising that their automated procedures
sometimes go wrong.

Installing using CPAN should be easy: download nmake from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/patch/1.52/w95/en-us/nmake15.exe,
run the downloaded exe to extract NMAKE.EXE and NMAKE.ERR, copy both
those files into C:\Perl\bin, and run

perl -MCPAN -e"install Email::Send"

from a shell. It may ask you several questions if this is the first time
it's been run: the default answers are all fine for ActivePerl.
I don't know how to tell if there is another dependency on these, but from
the names, they sound like very basic packages, so there probably is.
Bugzilla requires a large number of other modules...

If this copy of perl isn't used for anything else, and ppm doesn't give
you any other warnings, then there aren't any other dependancies.

Ben