Problem installing gems

Robert Isaacs

------_=_NextPart_001_01C53C3F.0A308567

I am having a strange problem on one of my desktop machines trying to
update the list of rubygems, or indeed, to install any remote gems.
When I try to execute the command: "gem update -r" on the machine, I get
the following message:
=20
Upgrading installed gems...
=20
and it freezes there forever.
=20
One other interesting fact that might be useful is that wget also fails
on this desktop as well. It times out on *sending* the http request.
Granted, I know this fact might make this problem non ruby specific but
I think it only started happening after I installed ruby on cygwin. I
also installed Ruby with the windows installer. I tried to remove
cygwin and reinstall it... all to no avail.
=20
I'd really like to do some development on this machine, so any help is
appreciated!
=20
Thanks in advance!
=20