Problem redirecting to pages when SmartNavigation is active. Why?

Peter Rilling

Past threads on Google do not offer much help or explanation, so maybe
someone can offer a fresh perspective.

I have a website that is installed on both a test and production
environments. This site uses SmartNavigation on some of the pages. The
test environment works as expected. When you click the submit button, you
are redirected to the correct page. However, when you click the submit
button when using the production environment, you get the following HTML
content and no redirection happens.

<BODY><ASP_SMARTNAV_RDIR url="/default.aspx"></ASP_SMARTNAV_RDIR></BODY>
I am sure that turning off SmartNavigation would solve the problem, I don't
want to inconvenience the user.

Here are some points to keep in mind.

1) Two servers contain identical code for the site. One server works, the
other does not.
2) This is consistent, meaning that more than one client is having the
problem when accessing the production.
3) If a browser instance accesses the production environment, the above
HTML is displayed. If the same browser uses the test environment, redirect
occurs as expected. This rules out a problem with the client.

Any thoughts. From what I can see of other posts, lots of people have a
similar problem, but no one has yet to provide an explanation and solution.