problem with charset

Daneel Yaitskov

Hi,

I started to learn CGI and wrote his first script. I have a problem with
charset of webpage. Referenceing to man help I wrote following code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use utf8;
use encoding 'utf8';
use CGI qw:)standard);

print header(-type=>'text/html', -charset=>'UTF-8');
print start_html('Simple example'),
h1('Simple example'), end_html();

The problem is that a browser gets the generated webpage with a wrong
charset. What do I make wrong?

header of webpage is:
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
<head>
<title>Remote terminal</title>
</head>

I have sent this letter here, because my letters don't come to
perl.beginners.cgi. Does anyone know why so?

Daneel

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Daneel said:
I started to learn CGI and wrote his first script. I have a problem with
charset of webpage. Referenceing to man help I wrote following code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use utf8;
use encoding 'utf8';
use CGI qw:)standard);

print header(-type=>'text/html', -charset=>'UTF-8');
print start_html('Simple example'),
h1('Simple example'), end_html();

The problem is that a browser gets the generated webpage with a wrong
charset. What do I make wrong?

header of webpage is:
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
<head>
<title>Remote terminal</title>
</head>

I'm not able to reproduce that behavior. However, the meta charset can
be set explicitly with the -encoding argument.

print start_html(
-title => 'Simple example',
-encoding => 'utf8',
), ...
I have sent this letter here, because my letters don't come to
perl.beginners.cgi. Does anyone know why so?

Have you subscribed to the beginners-cgi list?

http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=beginners-cgi

Daneel Yaitskov

Hi,

I have sloved the problem!. The cause was in that that I had used the
old CGI package. All fixed up when I had installed 3.25 version of the.

Daneel