Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Debashish

Hi guys,
Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
those process and regain the 2 lisences.

Is there any way or any script that can help me to do this without
restarting the lisence server. I know its easier to handle in Linux or
Unix severs, by just killing the process. But how will i do the same
without restarting the windows 2000 server. Is there any java or any
other script for that.

Regards..
Debashish Hota

Mike Treseler

Debashish said:
Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
those process and regain the 2 lisences.

1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
and train them to close the gui.

2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
session, even if you are just editing and compiling.

Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
during a sim and then relinquishes it.

-- Mike Treseler

Debashish

Mike Treseler said:
1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
and train them to close the gui.

2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
session, even if you are just editing and compiling.

Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
during a sim and then relinquishes it.

-- Mike Treseler

Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved
all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove

Prasanna

Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved
all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove

Hi,

Use "lmremove" command with the license admin privileges. To recognize
that the process is dead, there are unix ways and I am not aware of
windows ways.

I suggest wrap your modelsim command with a shell script that takes
care of these issues.

Regards,

- Prasanna