Problem with proxies

Ameet Nanda

Hi All,

I access net using a proxy, which I have to authenticate everytime I try
to access net from my system. Now when I use urllib2.urlopen(url) , I
cant get ahead. I must provide proxy authentication , I tried reading
docs online which speak of something called as FancyUrlOpener. Now i
want to hardcode my username and password inside the script or somehow
save it.

How do I go ahead with that ??

-
Ameet

www.wipro.com

Tim Chase

I have struggling to efficiently convert a string list to
number. Here is my problem. I have a file that contains lines
such as:

data_1 1 1 2 3.5

After I read the data from the file by using readlines(), each
line contains a string. I use the re moduel to split the line
into ['data_1', '1','1','2','3.5']. I want to create a
dictionary which contains

{'data_1':[1 1 2 3.5]}

The problem is I coud not efficiently find a way to convert
the string to number.

Does anyone know how to create such dictionary efficiently?

Despite my Spidey-sense tingling that this is a homework
assignment, as similar forms of the question have popped up
several times in the last week, I supress it this time.

Paraphrasing Andy Dufresne, "Mr. Wang, do you trust your file?"[1]

If you don't trust the content of your file, you have to know either

1) how many columns of data to expect or
2) the type each should be (int or float)

If the same type for each is okay, you can use something like
... k,v = line.rstrip('\n').split(None, 1)
... s[k] = map(float, v.split())
... {'data_1': [1.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.5], 'data_4': [1.0, 1.0, 8.0, 4.5]}

However, if you want them to be the actual types that evaluating
them would give (thus the trust-your-source issue), you can use this:
... k,v = line.rstrip('\n').split(None, 1)
... s[k] = map(eval, v.split())
... {'data_1': [1, 1, 2, 3.5], 'data_4': [1, 1, 8, 4.5]}

Both instances don't try to do anything smart with duplicate
keys, so if you want to append, Bruno Desthuilliers *just* posted
(in the last hour or so) a nice tip on this using
setdefault().append()

-tkc

[1]http://www.finestquotes.com/movie_quotes/movie/Shawshank Redemption/page/0.htm

Tim Chase

I am new to Python and find it very interesting

welcome to the wonderful world of Python :)
so I decided to try to port a big project from matlab to
python. To prove the value of the python, I need to find an
python way to do it.

A good exercise for learning Python.
The input file contains many lines of data starts with a
label. The data lengths are not the same and the data type is
mixed with int and float. Some lines start with comment sign #
need to be removed from the dictionary. The mixed int and
float really cause me trouble to convert the data efficiently.
I will try your suggestion

Just check the results on each line as you iterate over
them...something like

results = {}
for line in file('in.txt'):
line = line.strip()
if line.startswith('#'): continue
key, values = line.split(None,1)
results[key] = map(eval, values.split())

-tkc