Problems with aspnet_wp.exe

Guest

System: Windows 2000 SP4
..NET Frameworks Installed: 1.0, 1.1 SP1
..NET Framework In Question: 1.1 SP1
Web Server: IIS 5
Process Model User: machine
Development Environment: VS.NET 2003
Development System: WinXP

The wednesday before Thanksgiving our web server started exhibiting some
incredibly strange behavior. On every hit of the a page it loads and
subsequently unloads the aspnet_wp.exe. I can watch it happen in Task
Manager when I load a page in the browser.

The web app is relatively involved so I removed the references, excluded
nearly everything and created a simple "hello world" type ASPX page w/ a
codebehind class. Even with this super simplified assembly the behaviour
occurs.

I have uninstalled all .NET frameworks along w/ IIS, deleted the contents of
\winnt\system32\intesrv and then reinstalled IIS followed by both frameworks
in order by version and the problem persists.

To may dismay, the event logs show nothing!

If anyone can offer any suggestions on how to proceed I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks!

Guest

Contact Microsoft directly. I am assuming that you have exhausted all other
methods like searching google gropus, microsoft KB, etc.

gerry

Was there any resolution to this problem ?
We just starting encountering this same behaviour on W2kServer - I am
assuming this is related to recent windows updates.

Gerry

Guest

Gerry,

We did get this issue resolved. My apologies for not having posted the
resolution for everyone's benefit. As it turns out, it was something
extremely simple in the end. We had attempted to install a profiling tool
on the web server and the install had gone tragically wrong with side effects
that were pretty extreme. In short, IIS and the ASP.NET wouldn't play nice
together anymore even after removing and re-adding script maps and several
other similar steps. In the end we had to backup the metabase, uninstall
IIS, reboot, reinstall, IIS, reboot, restore the metabase. After completing
those steps ASP.NET and IIS began playing nice again but we noticed the
problem described in this post. It turned out that somehow durring all the
previous madness the Cache ISAPI Applications checkbox at the tob of the
dialog that appears after clicking the Configuration button on the Home
Directory tab of Web Site properties had gotten un-checked. Simply checking
Cache ISAPI Applications fixed the issue. No one had even though to check it
before that because we "knew" it hadn't been changed.

That's probably a bit long-winded but I hope it helps.

gerry

Thanks Everett.
That fixed it. This must have been the undocumented result of a recent
windows update as this happened on all of our my sites and since I am the
only one with access to them I know that this setting was not altered
manually.

Thanks again

Gerry