    I've ever done has been for corporations that handled this internally.
    This would have to be cheap.

    Preston

    Preston Crawford, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Preston Crawford

    analogueboy Guest

    Difficult question to answer, depends on who is dealing with the credit
    cards. I worked with WorldPay on a project who supply Java servlets to
    handle the communication with their server.

    analogueboy, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Preston Crawford

    Wendy S Guest

    If cheap is the main priority, you can do a lot with PayPal buttons on a web
    page... no Java involved. Is the goal to get it done, or to use Java to do
    it? How much volume will there be-- or put another way, is it worth it to
    actually go get a merchant account? There are going to be monthly fees in
    addition to the discount, etc.

    Depending on what the product is, there are third parties who will do the
    whole "online store" with shopping cart and credit card processing, and take
    a percentage of the sale.

    Wendy S, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Java isn't the priority. The reason I'm asking around is because my wife
    and I (if we go ahead with this) have to choose a hosting provider. And
    that hosting provider will be chosen based partly on what they provide
    (JSP, PHP, ASP.NET, etc.). I can do all 3 platforms, so I'm looking for
    what has the best hooks into a cheap system. PayPal would be doable, but
    it would take away the seamlessness of the whole cart experience.
    Yeah, I know. I just like to have some control over things if possible.
    The problem with this whole thing is what we're looking at selling is
    small margin, so we can't spend a ton of money on this, really.

    Preston

    Preston Crawford, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Preston Crawford

    Sudsy Guest

    I don't follow you. Have you read "The PayPal Shopping Cart Manual"?
    You can use your own cart, a third-party's or PayPal's own. So flexible
    that I plan on using it for a client of mine in a similar situation
    (low margin).
    Feel free to drop me a note off-newsgroup.

    Sudsy, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Preston Crawford

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Hey Preston,

    I've been through this issue with dozens of small business clients. No one ever
    wants to hear this, because we're all such webheads we all want to do it
    ourselves. But for an online store with fewer than about 50 items, the best
    solution is a Yahoo Store. When you add up the cost of the hosting, merchant
    account, and everything else, there's simply no comparison. For larger
    operations it gets very expensive, but for small stuff it can't be beat. Do the
    math yourself and you'll see. You can have plenty of flexibility in developing
    your site -- you'd never know most Yahoo Stores were actually that. Most of
    those thousands of small time whitebox computer and parts vendors on the web are
    actually Yahoo Stores. Go to Yahoo, play around with it a bit, and see what you
    think. The only time I would not recommend a Yahoo Store for a small ecommerce
    operation is if it were necessary to integrate with an existing database or
    inventory system.

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Jan 24, 2004