Processor or Memory for Visual Studio 2003 Developing Machine

Gerry Viator

Hi all,

I am currently developing on Visual Studio 2003 and I'm getting ready to buy a new machine.

I would be running VS2003,SQL2000, Crystal Reporting,Macromedia products,Office2003, Remote Desktop to
some Servers. Allot of these would be opened at the same time.

My question is should I focus on more Memory or second processor. And would going to
SCSI drive be better. These are scenarios that I was trying to decide from.

I will be running Windows XP Professional

Configuration 1

Duel Intel Xeon Processor, 2.40GHZ, 512K Cache
Memory: 1 GB,DDR266 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 80GB ATA-100 IDE, 7200 rpm

Configuration 2

1 Intel Xeon Processor, 2.40GHZ, 512K Cache
Memory: 2 GB, DDR266
Hard Drive: 80GB ATA-100 IDE, 7200 rpm

Configuration 3

1 Intel Xeon Processor, 2.40GHZ, 512K Cache
Memory: 1 GB,DDR266 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 73GB Ultra 320 SCSI, 1 inch (15,000 rpm)

Thanks
Gerry

Jim Blizzard [MSFT]

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for posting to the newsgroup.

Wow. All three of those configurations beat what I have on my laptop, and I
comfortably run everything you've mentioned except the Macromedia products.

If I had to choose one of the 3 you described, I'd go with config 2. More
RAM. VS.NET and the MSDN library love RAM. The more the merrier. Once
stuff loads into RAM, the disk drive speed won't matter as much.

I'd focus on more memory first, followed by a fast disk, then a second
processor if I had any money left.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Hope this helps.

bliz

--
Jim Blizzard, MCSD .NET
http://snowstormlife.com/blog

Your Potential. Our Passion.

This posting is provided as is, without warranty, and confers no rights.

[...]

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

In my experience, MS software benefits from additional RAM more than a faster
processor. I choose door #2.

--

Important: Patch Windows *beyond* Blaster.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

[...]

Thanks guys

I went with :

Dell Workstation 450

Duel Intel Xeon Processor, 2.40GHZ, 512K Cache
Memory: 2 GB, DDR266
Hard Drive: 36GB Ultra 320 SCSI, 1 inch (15,000 rpm)