Program for drawing clock cycles?

Allan Herriman

I dunno whether this is the right place to ask this. Does anyone know of any
free programs that allow us to make diagrams of clock cycle timings
something like this http://www.clarkspur.com/timingd.htm
Thanks!

Google is your friend:

Chronology Timing Designer http://www.timingdesigner.com/
(Expensive, but I expect they have a free evaluation)

Free, online Timing Tool http://www.timingtool.com/

SynaptiCAD's WaveFormer http://www.syncad.com
(evaluation is free)

Time Crafter
http://www.goldinc.com/Tour/LongBeach/Businesses/ASR_/overview.html
(Free)

True Type Font 'XWave' (for use with text editor)
http://www.josephpalmer.com/cgi-local/View_Permalink.cgi?entry=2004/6/30/02:31:40:162
(Free, but only useful for drawing, rather than designing.)

Of these, I've only used Chronology's Timing Designer in anger. It's
very expensive (for what it does) but it's often regarded as the best
tool available for this job.

Regards,
Allan

Thomas Thorsen

Leow Yuan Yeow said:
I dunno whether this is the right place to ask this. Does anyone know of
any free programs that allow us to make diagrams of clock cycle timings
something like this http://www.clarkspur.com/timingd.htm
Thanks!

I use TimingStencil for Microsoft Visio, that i made myself. I found that to
be far easier and produced far better results than using dedicated programs
that often get in the way and are limiting because they are not really
drawing programs. And when it comes to exporting to some publishing format
(EPS,JPG etc.) they all fail in that they fail to produce output that looks
exactly as on screen. You can grab it at
http://kom.aau.dk/~ttho02/greyscale/TimingStencil/ . There's no english
translation of the page (yet), but the pictures are selfexplanatory and the
stencil is very easy to use. The download is at the bottom of the page.
Start with the frame-symbol and drag the other symbols
(signals/date/constraints/labels etc) to the drawing area.