Protecting HTML source and content

MrRogers

How do I protect my HTML 'source' from being copied, and how do I
protect from folks copying and pasting my content?
Thanks

Nik Coughin

MrRogers said:
How do I protect my HTML 'source' from being copied, and how do I
protect from folks copying and pasting my content?
Thanks

You can't. Read the thread earlier in this group from yaYPee titled "how to
password protect files/images". If you don't want people to be able to copy
it, don't publish it on the Web.

Nik Coughin

Nik said:
You can't. Read the thread earlier in this group from yaYPee titled
"how to password protect files/images". If you don't want people to
be able to copy it, don't publish it on the Web.

Sorry, jaYPee.

John D.

OK,
I can't protect someone from copying my site.
So,
So, let me ask this:

1) By posting an article to the web, Is that considered copyrighted?
2) If so, how could I prove that I posted it first?
I'm honestly considering a notarized (dated) letter containg the text of the
site. Maybe someone has a better idea.
Thanks again

The Doormouse

John D. said:
OK,
I can't protect someone from copying my site.
1) By posting an article to the web, Is that considered copyrighted?
Yes.

2) If so, how could I prove that I posted it first?
I'm honestly considering a notarized (dated) letter containg the text
of the site. Maybe someone has a better idea.

That is a great idea - provided that the ideas are uniquely yours. You
cannot post other's ideas and say, "I posted it first".

The Doormouse

Richard

MrRogers said:
How do I protect my HTML 'source' from being copied, and how do I
protect from folks copying and pasting my content?
Thanks

Don't upload it to a website.

html coding is not yours to protect. It's "public domain" and can be used by
anyone any time.
if you have it on a website, there is a way for someone to copy and paste
it.
Copyrights protect only YOUR original work and that may be hard to prove if
what you have is farily common as it is.
Just because it's on your website doesn't mean you own it.

rf

Richard said:
Don't upload it to a website.

html coding is not yours to protect. It's "public domain" and can be used by
anyone any time.

Wrong. A page marked up with HTML is most certainly subject to copyright.
True, the individual components of the page, like a <p> tag, are not, just
like the ++ operator in C++ is not copyright, nor is the word "the" used in
a novel. However the page is copyright, just as the C++ program and the
novel are.
if you have it on a website, there is a way for someone to copy and paste
it.

True, but when you find out about it you can order them to ceace and desist.
You can even sue for damages if you can prove damage (in some contries one
has to register the copyright to be able to do this).
Copyrights protect only YOUR original work and that may be hard to prove if
what you have is farily common as it is.

It is dreadfully easy to prove a particular page belongs to me. I just
exhibit the high resolution image that I have, from which the low resolution
web page friendly one was derived. You will never have that high resolution
image. I do, so I can prove the work is mine.
Just because it's on your website doesn't mean you own it.

Wrong. If I build it then I own it. Before you go any further I suggest you
contact a lawyer who is familiar with copyright law :)

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

John said:
2) If so, how could I prove that I posted it first?
I'm honestly considering a notarized (dated) letter containg the text of the
site. Maybe someone has a better idea.

One method that is popular is:

1. Burn the site onto a CD-R.
2. Put the CD-R in its sleeve.
3. Put the sleeve in a well-padded envelope.
4. Write your own address on the envelope.
5. Put a stamp on the envelope and post it to yourself.
6. When you receive the envelope back through the post, note that
it bears the sending date on the postmark. Put it away for safe
keeping.

Karl Groves

MrRogers said:
How do I protect my HTML 'source' from being copied, and how do I
protect from folks copying and pasting my content?
Thanks

What do you think you're going to protect?
If it is your actual HTML source, well the mere fact that you ask the
question means you're not writing anything worthy of protecting.
If it is your "artwork" and images, you're no Ansel Adams or Vincent Van
Gogh
If it is your literary creation to the world, I guarantee you're no Tolstoy
or Dickens
I can get the works of all these people - http://www.anseladams.com/
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/ including downloading whole books at
http://www.literaturepage.com/authors/

So what makes you think YOU are so special?

-Karl

Whitecrest

One method that is popular is:
1. Burn the site onto a CD-R.
2. Put the CD-R in its sleeve.
3. Put the sleeve in a well-padded envelope.
4. Write your own address on the envelope.
5. Put a stamp on the envelope and post it to yourself.
6. When you receive the envelope back through the post, note that
it bears the sending date on the postmark. Put it away for safe
keeping.

The "poor man's" copyright does not hold up in court (at least not in
the US)

Jay

Toby A Inkster said:
One method that is popular is:

1. Burn the site onto a CD-R.
2. Put the CD-R in its sleeve.
3. Put the sleeve in a well-padded envelope.
4. Write your own address on the envelope.
5. Put a stamp on the envelope and post it to yourself.
6. When you receive the envelope back through the post, note that
it bears the sending date on the postmark. Put it away for safe
keeping.

Send it certified mail so there's record of the signature and date it was
received and do not open the envelope.

Neal

Send it certified mail so there's record of the signature and date it was
received and do not open the envelope.

Will not stand up in court. Example - I mail an empty envelope to myself.
Then I wait till some new hotness is released. I reset the date on my
computer, burn the disk, put it in the envelope and seal it.

Best thing to do is actually register your copyright with, in the US, the
Library of Congress. No idea what the fee is, but that's the only
foolproof way to show you have this intellectual property at this time.
Courts will see the envelope trick as suspect as the normal route for
registering copyright was not taken.

Whitecrest

Best thing to do is actually register your copyright with, in the US, the
Library of Congress. No idea what the fee is..

different for different mediums, but starting at about $25.00(us)

John D.

True, but when you find out about it you can order them to ceace and desist.
You can even sue for damages if you can prove damage (in some contries one
has to register the copyright to be able to do this).

Agreed, That works for me. That's all I could expect.

informant

rf said:
used

[...]

Coincidentally, Bullis has been corrected for his inability to comprehend
copyright law innumerable times over the past couple of years in
and it never sinks in to the k00k skull.

informant

Richard said:
Don't upload it to a website.

html coding is not yours to protect. It's "public domain" and can be used by
anyone any time.

Wrong, L4EM.
if you have it on a website, there is a way for someone to copy and paste
it.
Copyrights protect only YOUR original work and that may be hard to prove if
what you have is farily common as it is.
Just because it's on your website doesn't mean you own it.

Well, *you* own nothing on your k00ksite, but that doesn't apply to others.