Proxy causing display problems

Geoff

I have a ASPX website that returns a PDF - the coding it similar to another
example in this group posted by Geshel.

It works fine, but recently we changed the user's IE Settings so that they
now go through a proxy (our ISA firewall). This was required for another
application.

However now my application does not run correctly. Instead of opening as it
did before, it displays a dialog with two choices (save or cancel). If I
flush the local IE cache it will work (one time), and then back to save or
cancel.

The basic code in the page_load trigger is (much omitted for better reading)
Response.BinaryWrite(ArchivedFile)
Response.End()

If I manually remove the Proxy from my IE settings it works fine.
I have looked into
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httpcacheability.aspx
Which talks about controlling the user cache, but nothing seems to help.

Anybody have an idea why have a proxy set on IE (6.0 by the way) causes this
basic ASPX page to stop working as expected?

Anthony Jones

Geoff said:
[...]

First job is to get Fiddler installed on the client (
http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler )

Then use it monitor the response of both a sucessful and a failing request.
Compare the requests (there may not even be a second request).
Are the content types the same?
Is the second a 304?

Geoff

Thanks Anthony, I'm not sure how (in our production) to "monitor" a
successful and failed response. Are you suggesting the IIS logs? These have
always shown that the request was successfully processed (proxy or not). The
problem seems to be when the return stream passes through a proxy (MS ISA),
or maybe a specific config or known issue with ISA operating as a proxy - I'm
not sure.

When I debug at the I.E level I have yet to find a way to dump the actual
stream because the return is all being processed within IE. That is since
the content type, etc is all set on the returning stream, in theory IE is
decoding this and determing how to process. Maybe you have a suggestion on
how to capture this (if this was what your suggestion is about)...

Thanks in advance for your help
cheers

Geoff

Sorry, Anthony, I just re-read this and missed the part about installing
Fiddler. I shall try that and see what it tells me...

My appologies, I'll update once I have info