Pulling email addresses

Tony Bove-Dallas

I have a non-commercial site that I need a script to track the email
addresses of people that visit. Can anybody help?

In a perfect world, I'd receive an autogenerated email with the e-dress
of the visitor, but it isn't a perfect world, so if you have a
suggestion, please speak up. Thanks.

Cheers, T.

Vjekoslav Begovic

Tony Bove-Dallas said:
I have a non-commercial site that I need a script to track the email
addresses of people that visit. Can anybody help?

No.

kaeli

I have a non-commercial site that I need a script to track the email
addresses of people that visit. Can anybody help?

In a perfect world, I'd receive an autogenerated email with the e-dress
of the visitor, but it isn't a perfect world, so if you have a
suggestion, please speak up. Thanks.

In a normal internet environment, it is not possible to reliably get the
e-mail address of visitors.

Thank god.

--
~kaeli~
Found God? If nobody claims Him in 30 days, He's yours to

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Tony Bove-Dallas said:
I have a non-commercial site that I need a script to track the email
addresses of people that visit. Can anybody help?

Make a form and ask them to submit their e-mail.
Nothing else works (thank said:
In a perfect world, I'd receive an autogenerated email with the e-dress
of the visitor, but it isn't a perfect world, so if you have a
suggestion, please speak up. Thanks.

How do you know that they even have an e-mail address?
It is quite possible (although not overly plausible) to use a browser
without having any e-mail address at all.

/L

kaeli

[email protected] enlightened us said:
How do you know that they even have an e-mail address?
It is quite possible (although not overly plausible) to use a browser
without having any e-mail address at all.

Actually, IME, it is very common to not have a default mail client that
one uses (which would be the only way to pick up a user's e-mail addy).
People using yahoo, hotmail, etc with no POP3 would access via the web
only. I know of many, many people who don't use Outlook, but instead use
a web mail that comes with their ISP (AT & T, Comcast, and other ISPs
have a web interface one can use) or use yahoo or hotmail online.
Also, anyone using school computers, library computers, internet cafe
computers, and other public access systems would not have a default
client. They would use web mail.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

kaeli said:
Actually, IME, it is very common to not have a default mail client that
one uses

Definitly. I was talking about using the web without *having* an
e-mail-address at all, not just not having it available. That would mean
that no amount of mojo would be able to conjure the e-mail-address.
Your example is "only" physically impossible, not logically impossible :)

/L

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
How do you know that they even have an e-mail address?
It is quite possible (although not overly plausible) to use a browser
without having any e-mail address at all.

Not so; it is perfectly possible. I can use a browser at the local
Public Library, without having any corresponding E-mail facility; they
are open to any Library user.

The only way of getting a fairly reliable E-mail address is to ask for
one, being sure to provide sufficient incentive for it to be correct.