Py2exe & (Py)QT4

shane.external

I'm having trouble using Py2exe with a PyQT-based python project. Or
possibly I'm having a problem with PyQT and Py2exe makes it apparent.
Whichever it is, I run into trouble with importing QtCore and QtGui.
The error reported is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "xmlEdit.py", line 3, in ?
File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 12, in ?
File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: Invalid access to memory location.

Line 10 is the import of QtCore.pyd, which is included in the dist
folder. Curiously, this is the same error I get when I input "from
PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui" into IDLE, so I'm not even sure it's a
Py2exe issue. I'm not quite sure what the error means, only that it
isn't that the file is not found (a Module Not Found error occurs if I
remove QtCore.pyd).

It run just fine from the command line. Can anyone shed some light on
this? QT version is 4.1.3. Python is 2.4.3 and PyQT is 4.0.1.

David Boddie

I'm having trouble using Py2exe with a PyQT-based python project. Or
possibly I'm having a problem with PyQT and Py2exe makes it apparent.
Whichever it is, I run into trouble with importing QtCore and QtGui.
The error reported is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "xmlEdit.py", line 3, in ?
File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 12, in ?
File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: Invalid access to memory location.

Line 10 is the import of QtCore.pyd, which is included in the dist
folder. Curiously, this is the same error I get when I input "from
PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui" into IDLE, so I'm not even sure it's a
Py2exe issue. I'm not quite sure what the error means, only that it
isn't that the file is not found (a Module Not Found error occurs if I
remove QtCore.pyd).

I don't use Windows, so I can only guess at what the problem is.
Maybe the libraries that QtCore.pyd depends on aren't available,
or they are in a place that the import machinery doesn't know
about.
It run just fine from the command line. Can anyone shed some light on
this? QT version is 4.1.3. Python is 2.4.3 and PyQT is 4.0.1.

I can only suggest looking in the py2exe Wiki:

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/Py2Exe

I tried searching for similar report but only found this one

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/75317974fd73ea88

that might help you diagnose the problem.

If you want to take this to a PyQt-related mailing list, visit

David