Python 3.0 or Python 3000?

John Salerno

Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

Tim Peters

[John Salerno]
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

The smart money is on changing the name to Ecstasy, to leverage
marketing publicity from the hallucinogenic club drug of the same
name. "class" will be renamed to "rave", and the license will be
changed to prohibit use by people with bipolar disorder. Either that,
or the name will be Python 3.0.

Dennis Lee Bieber

[John Salerno]
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

The smart money is on changing the name to Ecstasy, to leverage
marketing publicity from the hallucinogenic club drug of the same
name. "class" will be renamed to "rave", and the license will be
changed to prohibit use by people with bipolar disorder. Either that,
or the name will be Python 3.0.

Or... just to save "3000" as a "time way down the road"... The next
major version of Python will be: Python PI (and each build will add
another digit... "3.1, 3.14, 3.141, ...")

Ray

Dennis said:
Or... just to save "3000" as a "time way down the road"... The next
major version of Python will be: Python PI (and each build will add
another digit... "3.1, 3.14, 3.141, ...")

I like this idea a lot. This way, people ALWAYS know what the next
release's name will be.

John Salerno

Tim said:
[John Salerno]
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

The smart money is on changing the name to Ecstasy, to leverage
marketing publicity from the hallucinogenic club drug of the same
name. "class" will be renamed to "rave", and the license will be
changed to prohibit use by people with bipolar disorder. Either that,
or the name will be Python 3.0.

Gotcha. :)

Steven Bethard

John said:
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

Actually, there's an official response these days in `PEP 3000`_:

"""
Naming

Python 3000, Python 3.0 and Py3K are all names for the same thing. The
project is called Python 3000, or abbreviated to Py3k. The actual Python
release will be referred to as Python 3.0, and that's what "python3.0
-V" will print; the actual file names will use the same naming
convention we use for Python 2.x. I don't want to pick a new name for
the executable or change the suffix for Python source files.
"""

... _PEP 3000: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3000/

STeVe

Benjamin Niemann

Dennis said:
[John Salerno]
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?

The smart money is on changing the name to Ecstasy, to leverage
marketing publicity from the hallucinogenic club drug of the same
name. "class" will be renamed to "rave", and the license will be
changed to prohibit use by people with bipolar disorder. Either that,
or the name will be Python 3.0.

Or... just to save "3000" as a "time way down the road"... The next
major version of Python will be: Python PI (and each build will add
another digit... "3.1, 3.14, 3.141, ...")

That's actually the versioning scheme of TeX, currently being at 3.141592

Christos Georgiou

I like this idea a lot. This way, people ALWAYS know what the next
release's name will be.

Who gave the time machine to the Donald Knuth? Have we got infiltrators?
Or did he steal it?

In other news, the unnamed chief of the PSU has stat

Christos Georgiou

[John Salerno]
Is 'Python 3000' just a code name for version 3.0, or will it really be
called that when it's released?
The smart money is on changing the name to Ecstasy, to leverage
marketing publicity from the hallucinogenic club drug of the same
name. "class" will be renamed to "rave", and the license will be
changed to prohibit use by people with bipolar disorder.

Anything to do with recent rumours about license change? Will programming
in Python finally be outlawed, as it should be from the start (it's so
pleasing after all, it should be illegal)? There will be a charge per line
(of code)? Shall we become code sniffers?
Either that, or the name will be Python 3.0.

That's what we, as cautious merchands dealing with unknown clients, should
call our product. Excellent.

PS ("Mwa" + "ha"*sys.maxint) still won't work, though.

Dennis Lee Bieber

That's actually the versioning scheme of TeX, currently being at 3.141592

<eeek> My last exposure to TeX was some 15 odd years ago; and even
then it was just rudimentary stuff fed through LaTeX.

Sergei Organov

Dennis Lee Bieber said:
<eeek> My last exposure to TeX was some 15 odd years ago; and even
then it was just rudimentary stuff fed through LaTeX.

It's total nonsense as LaTeX is a bunch of macros written in TeX the
language. If you meant TeX the interpreter of the TeX the language (a
program), then it's total nonsense again, as interpreter is not
(usually) fed through anything.

Latex the program just loads LaTeX macros into the TeX interpreter
before the document to be processed, so one may say LaTeX is fed through
TeX, but not vise versa.

Anyway, it's unfair to speak of one of the most wonderful pieces of
software ever written in such a tone.

-- Sergei.

Robert Kern

Sergei said:
It's total nonsense as LaTeX is a bunch of macros written in TeX the
language. If you meant TeX the interpreter of the TeX the language (a
program), then it's total nonsense again, as interpreter is not
(usually) fed through anything.

I'm pretty sure he meant that his last exposure to TeX was writing rudimentary
stuff that he was feeding through LaTeX.
Latex the program just loads LaTeX macros into the TeX interpreter
before the document to be processed, so one may say LaTeX is fed through
TeX, but not vise versa.

Anyway, it's unfair to speak of one of the most wonderful pieces of
software ever written in such a tone.

Judging tone through email is error prone. Please try not to imagine insults
where there are none.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Sergei Organov

Robert Kern said:
Sergei said:
[...]
Anyway, it's unfair to speak of one of the most wonderful pieces of
software ever written in such a tone.

Judging tone through email is error prone. Please try not to imagine insults
where there are none.

Yes, you are right, I'll try to refrain from that in the future.

-- Sergei.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Anyway, it's unfair to speak of one of the most wonderful pieces of
software ever written in such a tone.
I refer to the documents I was creating as "rudimentary stuff" --
IE, I made use of very little of the real power available to me... It
was: Use a Macintosh (I'm talking original with the tall narrow display)
or LaTeX on a VAX to produce transparencies for presentations...

I could edit LaTeX much faster than handling a 1-button mouse...

Sergei Organov

Dennis Lee Bieber said:
I refer to the documents I was creating as "rudimentary stuff" --
IE, I made use of very little of the real power available to me... It
was: Use a Macintosh (I'm talking original with the tall narrow display)
or LaTeX on a VAX to produce transparencies for presentations...

I did misunderstood you and I'm sorry about it. Probably I just got up
too early today. Sorry once again.

-- Sergei.

per9000

I can't wait to get my hands on version PAL9000, then we will all have
to deallocate memory *the hard way*.

/per9000