Python and CMS

Echo

I am going to start working on a church website. And since I like
python, I decided to use WSGI. However, I later found out about all
the different CMS's in php. So I wondered if there where any in
python.

Sadly, I only found Plone, skeletonz, and PyLucid (If there is any
more, please let me know). Of those three, only PyLucid supports WSGI
and it didn't look very nice to me.
Both Plone and skeletonz looked very nice. However, they can't be
hosted on a regular web host(at least to my knowledge) since they run
as the web server themselves. So hosting would cost more, at least 2-3
times more from what I've seen.

So I'm thinking of making a python CMS based on WSGI. I'm now trying
to figure out a few things like the best way to store the content and
how to manage/use plugins. For storing the content, the only ways I
know of are as files or in a database. But I'm not sure what would be
better. And as for how to do plugings, I plan on looking at Plone and
skeletonz.

As for working with WSGI, I have found
Colubrid(http://wsgiarea.pocoo.org/colubrid/) and
Paste(http://pythonpaste.org/). I was wondering if anyone knew of any
other libraries that make working with WSGI easier. Also, I wondering
if anyone would like to share their experiences of working with those.

ps. I know that this is a big and complicated project. But no matter
how far I get, it will be fun because its Python:)

--
"Now that I am a Christian I do not have moods in which the whole
thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I had moods in

-Echo

Duncan Booth

Echo said:
Sadly, I only found Plone, skeletonz, and PyLucid (If there is any
more, please let me know). Of those three, only PyLucid supports WSGI
and it didn't look very nice to me.
Both Plone and skeletonz looked very nice. However, they can't be
hosted on a regular web host(at least to my knowledge) since they run
as the web server themselves. So hosting would cost more, at least 2-3
times more from what I've seen.
Just because something like Plone can run as a web server doesn't mean that
you expose that web server to the outside world, nor do you have to run it
as a webserver at all. Normally you run Plone behind another web server
such as Apache.

You can get Plone on shared hosting from various places. I use webfaction
(www.webfaction.com).

Bruno Desthuilliers

Echo a écrit :
(snip)
As for working with WSGI, I have found
Colubrid(http://wsgiarea.pocoo.org/colubrid/) and
Paste(http://pythonpaste.org/). I was wondering if anyone knew of any
other libraries that make working with WSGI easier.

Pylons (www.pylonshq.com). It's a rail-like framework based on Paste.

(snip)
ps. I know that this is a big and complicated project.

Really ? Why so ?

Writing a configurable, extensible, general purpose can be a "big and
complicated project". But writing a "taylor-made", specific one is not
that difficult.

johnzenger

For a free out of the box solution, look at MoinMoin. It is wiki
software, but nothing stops you from turning off user signups, locking
down the whole site, and just using it as a CMS. It's very easy to set
up, can run as a CGI, and requires no database backend.

johnf

Echo said:
[...]

Turbogears???
John

Sybren Stuvel

Kjell Magne Fauske enlightened us with:
I recommend taking a look at Django [1]. It is not a CMS right out
of the box, but writing one using the Django framework is not that
difficult.

Django is my favourite as well. It's very easy to start building a
dynamic website.

Sybren

Echo

Duncan said:
Just because something like Plone can run as a web server doesn't mean that
you expose that web server to the outside world, nor do you have to run it
as a webserver at all. Normally you run Plone behind another web server
such as Apache.

You can get Plone on shared hosting from various places. I use webfaction
(www.webfaction.com).
To be able to run Plone on webfaction, I checked them out a few days
ago, you have to get the plan 'shared 4', which is a lot more
expensive than places that offer regular web hosting with pythong
suport (like dreamhost.com).

Bruno said:
Pylons (www.pylonshq.com). It's a rail-like framework based on Paste.
What I've seen so far, I like. I think I will use Pylons. Thanks.
Really ? Why so ?

Writing a configurable, extensible, general purpose can be a "big and
complicated project". But writing a "taylor-made", specific one is not
that difficult.
Good point.