python and displaying on 10 bit monitors

Ian Kelly

Are there any python libraries that read and display High Dynamic Range images like this matlab code?

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/27115-hdr-image-viewer-for-deep-color-monitor

Or, asking another way, are there any python libraries that display images to 10 bit monitors as 10 bit images, and not scaled to 8 bit?

A Google search turns up this blog post:

http://hoganhdr.blogspot.com/2009/10/h2-image-viewer-python.html

No idea whether it works or not, and you'll have to fix the
indentation since the poster doesn't seem to know how to format Python
scripts for the web.

rlkling

Yea, that is not quite what I am looking for. He uses Python Image Library and as far as I can tell it does not display the images as 10 bits on 10 bit displays. So far the only app that I can find that does this is photoshop.

Nobody

Or, asking another way, are there any python libraries that display images
to 10 bit monitors as 10 bit images, and not scaled to 8 bit?

This should be possible using PyOpenGL and GLUT, with:

glutInitDisplayString("red=10 green=10 blue=10")

That's based upon a quick look at:

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/10-Bit.pdf
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/TB-04701-001_v02_new.pdf

I don't have a 30-bpp monitor to test it with.

You may be able to do the same thing using e.g. QGLWidget or wxGLCanvas,
but I don't think that you can get 30-bpp with GDI, so you're limited to
solutions involving OpenGL (or DirectX, if you can figure out the
necessary pieces).