    Is there such a thing as python applets for web browsers? (eg. such as
    java applets?) I think that could be useful.

    Andreas R.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=, Jun 2, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=

    Dave Brueck Guest

    A Google search for "python applets" turned up about 190,000 results. A Google
    search for "python applets for web browsers" turned up about 69,000 results.
    Finally, a Google search for "python applets for web browsers? (eg. such as
    java applets?)" turned up about 8,700 results.

    HTH,
    Dave

    Dave Brueck, Jun 2, 2004

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=

    Doug Holton Guest

    No, there was a web browser project called Grail that allowed python
    applets, but it is was abandoned.
    I think the main issue is security. Right now there is no official way
    to restrict what a python program can and cannot do, such as delete a
    file on the hard drive.

    One thing you can do in Python that you cannot in Java however is embed
    a user's web browser (such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla) in your
    Python program. In some cases that is more desirable.

    Doug Holton, Jun 2, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=

    Larry Bates Guest

    Larry Bates, Jun 2, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=

    Ype Kingma Guest

    There is an example here:

    http://www.jython.org/docs/jythonc.html

    Good luck,
    Ype

    Ype Kingma, Jun 2, 2004
  6. How do you do that?

    I've been using the webbrowser module to open help files for my python
    application, but it has several problems. If the user already has their
    browser open in another "desktop" (unix users seem fond of switching
    between lots of desktops), then the help opens there instead of the
    "desktop" that has the current app. Also, I really need to call
    webbrowser in a thread, because it takes forever if the web browser
    isn't already open. (Also, it's not safe to ask for file://...#anchor
    urls; some OSs handle it, others do not. I ended up writing code that
    retries without the anchor.)

    -- Russell

    Russell E. Owen, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Am Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:49:49 -0700 schrieb Russell E. Owen:
    There is a module called webbrowser in the
    standard library. It opens the default browser.
    But it does not embed it into an other GUI.

    Regards,
    Thomas

    Thomas Guettler, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Am Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:43:40 +0200 schrieb Andreas Røsdal:
    Yes, this would be useful if it would exist (see other replies)
    and if all browers would have this plugin.

    If you are doing an intranet solution, you can create
    your own GUI talking e.g. xml-rpc with the server.

    Regards,
    Thomas

    Thomas Guettler, Jun 3, 2004
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_R=F8sdal?=

    Doug Holton Guest

    You can use your platform's native component architecture (ActiveX,
    Kparts, or Bonobo) from Python to embed (or create) controls like a web
    browser, PDF viewer, or a multimedia player.

    In Windows, you can embed Internet Explorer in wxPython using ActiveX,
    see the wxPython demo. In Linux (and hopefully other platforms in the
    future), you can embed Mozilla in wxPython, see wxMozilla:
    http://wxmozilla.sourceforge.net/
    Also in Linux, I believe you can embed the Konqueror browser or any
    other Kparts compatible things using PyQT and PyKDE, but I'm not 100%
    sure about that.
    Lastly, I'm not sure if you can do similar things using PyGTK and
    Bonobo: http://www.pycage.de/howto_bonobo.html

    Doug Holton, Jun 3, 2004