python for non-programmers tutorial?

Anthony Baxter

I'm writing a half-day tutorial at work for the non-programmer techies
(network engineers, database admins, sysadmins, that sort of thing)
and was wondering if anyone else has already done this and made their
materials available? I plan to put my slides up on the web after they're
done...

Thanks,
ANthony

David K. Wall

Anthony Baxter said:
I'm writing a half-day tutorial at work for the non-programmer
techies (network engineers, database admins, sysadmins, that sort
of thing) and was wondering if anyone else has already done this
and made their materials available? I plan to put my slides up on
the web after they're done...

Here are a couple of tutorials I've bookmarked.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

I can't judge the quality, because I don't really program with Python.
I'm tinkering with Python in my spare time just to be able to use
another language, and see how things are done differently with Python.

Michael Peuser

Anthony Baxter said:
I'm writing a half-day tutorial at work for the non-programmer techies
(network engineers, database admins, sysadmins, that sort of thing)
and was wondering if anyone else has already done this and made their
materials available?

Have a look at:

www.pauahtun.org/TYPython/

Ivan Van Laningham: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

"....This book's primary aim is to teach you how to program. Only
secondarily does it aim to teach you Python, perhaps the coolest programming
language on the planet. You don't need to know any programming before you
begin; all you need is the desire to learn. ..."

Everything online.

Kindly
Michael P

Daniel Yoo

: I'm writing a half-day tutorial at work for the non-programmer techies
: (network engineers, database admins, sysadmins, that sort of thing)
: and was wondering if anyone else has already done this and made their
: materials available? I plan to put my slides up on the web after they're
: done...

Hi Anthony,

Python.org has a topic guide for beginners who'd like to learn Python:

http://www.python.org/topics/learn/

For your target audience, you may find Jacek Artymiak's article on
"Python Programming for Beginners" a good one, as it focuses on some
system administration and shell-scripting issues:

and all of the tutorials on the Beginners topic guide are pretty good.

You're also always welcome to ask learning questions on the
Python-Tutor mailing list:

Good luck to you!

Michael Peuser

Aahz said:
Unfortunately, speaking as the tech editor of that book, I can't
recommend it. Besides, it's out of print.

This probably is why it's online.... I did not recommend to buy it but is a
nice site ;-)

Kindly
Michael P