    and how those of us trying to restart our projects elsewhere can get
    access to our subversion repositories and trac data.

    JP

    jpellerin+nose, Dec 19, 2006

  2. jpellerin+nose

    Carl Banks Guest

    Maybe you're overreacting? Try checking the SVN tomorrow. Even Python
    programs can have downtime.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Dec 19, 2006

  3. I certainly hope so, but this is what I'm reacting to (from
    http://www.webfaction.com/freetrac):

    "We're sorry, we're not longer accepting applications for free trac/svn
    accounts. People have left their Trac sites unattended and as a result
    our server is being flooded with spam. We need to do some serious
    cleanup and when that's done we'll accept new applications again (that
    might take weeks, if not months though). "

    Unless my reading comprehension skills have completely abandoned me,
    they aren't saying that they are experiencing downtime. They are saying
    that they have shut down the service, for weeks or months -- with no
    notice (again, at least not any that I got). I can understand shutting
    down projects that are dead and just accumulating spam. I can
    understand shutting the whole thing down, with a decent notice so that
    projects don't die with the service. This, I just don't get. I hope I'm
    overreacting. I hope I can slurp up all of my tickets tomorrow and
    import them into their new home at google. But I'm not counting on it.

    JP

    jpellerin+nose, Dec 19, 2006
  4. jpellerin+nose

    greg Guest

    Um, that sounds to me like they're not accepting *new*
    projects, not that they're shutting down existing ones.

    greg, Dec 19, 2006
  5. jpellerin+nose

    Robert Kern Guest

    Well, nose.python-hosting.com (Jason Pellerin's project) is certainly
    inaccessible to me as well as most of the other free Tracs that I could scrounge
    up through Google. Jason's not just being paranoid. While it may be temporary
    and he will get hosting back in a few months(!), it's still down, and apparently
    without warning (I'm not a party to any of this, so I'm simply going with what
    Jason wrote).

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Dec 19, 2006
  6. have you tried mailing webfaction instead of ranting on the usenet?

    my account was temporarily disabled as well, during an attempt to clean
    out seemingly abandoned trac instances, but was back online in less than
    fifteen minutes after I'd mailed them.

    you'll find the contact info in the mail you got when you signed up.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 19, 2006
  7. jpellerin+nose

    Remi Guest

    I certainly hope so, but this is what I'm reacting to (from
    Your reading comprehension skills are fine :)

    We're not accepting *new* projects anymore (for now), but we certainly
    continue to support existing ones. We would never take down the sites
    without at least a one month warning ... not that we have any plan to
    do so anyway...

    We had to do some serious cleanup and we disabled a lot of Trac sites
    that looked abandoned (people left their Trac sites open to spammers
    and our server was crawling under the load caused by these spammers).

    If your site got disabled by mistake just e-mail us and we'll re-enable
    it within minutes ...

    Remi.

    Remi, Dec 19, 2006
  8. I did. I didn't get a reply within minutes (indeed not until this
    morning), so I posted a public message to try to find out if anyone
    knew what was going on -- and also to warn other people whose projects
    might have suddenly disappeared.

    As of this morning my project is back online, so my thanks to python
    hosting/webfaction for that. I'm very grateful to them for the great
    free service they have provided. I'm sorry that they are getting killed
    with spam, but I'm also sorry that they chose to handle the problem in
    the way that they did. I had no way of knowing when I'd have access to
    my svn repository and tickets again. I'm sure you can understand why I
    was dismayed by this and why, unfortunately, I'll never be comfortable
    trusting my data to them again.

    JP

    jpellerin+nose, Dec 19, 2006
  9. not really, but maybe I've just worked with computers and human beings
    long enough not to treat every little hiccup as if it were the end of
    the world as we know it.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 19, 2006
  10. You're misreading me very badly, or I'm expressing myself very poorly.
    Either way, you've inferred some kind of spittle-flecked freakout where
    I did not mean to imply one.

    JP

    jpellerin+nose, Dec 19, 2006
  11. Actually, to clarify the DEFAULT configuration for Trac is to leave it open
    to spam.

    I don't even use the Trac instance for my project hosted on that server.

    Richard

    Richard Jones, Dec 19, 2006
  12. jpellerin+nose

    greg Guest

    Perhaps it would be a good idea to send email to the owners
    of these accounts letting them know what you've done and how
    to get it re-enabled. Just shutting it down without any word
    could be seen as a bit rude.

    greg, Dec 20, 2006
  13. jpellerin+nose

    greg Guest

    That sounds like a really bad choice of default.

    A bit like the way Windows comes with all the
    "let anyone in the world send me a virus"
    options turned on...

    greg, Dec 20, 2006
  14. jpellerin+nose

    dwhall Guest

    My project was temporarily disabled as well even though I had taken
    measures to block spam and had committed to svn and edited the trac
    wiki one day before. I was a bit concerned that maybe webfaction had
    lost my trac and svn during their house cleaning. But I emailed Remi
    and he had it going again promptly. They provide a great service for
    free and they give back to the Python community. They deserve our
    thanks and our patronage.

    With regard to how they handled it, I think they chose an effective
    method. Why should they support projects (for free) that aren't
    active? So just disable the project to see if anyone cares enough to
    find out why it's gone. Ever so slightly draconian, but good for
    keeping a clean house. I'm glad they have done this cleaning work, the
    server seems much more responsive now; no more errors from trac.

    !!Dean

    dwhall, Dec 20, 2006
  15. jpellerin+nose

    John J. Lee Guest

    As a user of webfaction's commercial web hosting services, I'm glad
    that they took the responsible action they did to stop spammers
    affecting those services.

    Frankly, as a user of a free service, I don't think you have the right
    to demand an instant response -- though it seems they provided just
    that to some such users. What you wrote above is a fairly drastic
    over-reaction. If you need more reliable service, then pay for
    hosting. Worse, your words would not be much different if they had
    been calculated to punish the very people trying to help you (I don't
    say for a moment that was your intent of course!).

    Like all of us who post messages on the internet <wink>, I'm sure
    you'll now go and think about it for a day before hitting 'reply'
    again.

    John

    John J. Lee, Dec 22, 2006
  16. Not really, Trac's default to be open is great for intranet
    installations. It is Webfactions own fault that they haven't been able
    to shield themself from spam by changing Trac's default to something
    more restrictive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BJ=F6rn_Lindqvist?=, Dec 22, 2006
  17. jpellerin+nose

    Terry Reedy Guest

    To me, this is a bit too much 'blame the victim'. The fault lies with
    spammers
    who are willing to exploit to destruction something they did not build.
    The rest of us are still learning how to live with the reality of their
    existence.

    tjr

    Terry Reedy, Dec 22, 2006
  18. jpellerin+nose

    skip Guest

    . It is Webfactions own fault that they haven't been able to shield
    Terry> To me, this is a bit too much 'blame the victim'. The fault lies
    Terry> with spammers who are willing to exploit to destruction something
    Terry> they did not build. The rest of us are still learning how to
    Terry> live with the reality of their existence.

    I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around. Maybe the Trac authors
    should take their share for setting a default that leaves it open to
    spammers.

    Skip

    skip, Dec 22, 2006
  19. jpellerin+nose

    Terry Reedy Guest

    | Terry> To me, this is a bit too much 'blame the victim'. The fault
    lies
    | Terry> with spammers who are willing to exploit to destruction
    something
    | Terry> they did not build. The rest of us are still learning how to
    | Terry> live with the reality of their existence.
    |
    | I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around.

    To repeat, I place all blame, in any perjoritive sense, on the amoral
    insectoids who violate the basic behavioral norms of restraint that make
    civil life possible. Blurring the difference between perpetrators and
    victims only helps perpetrators.

    To me, it is like this. We go to a restaurant and sit down together to eat
    and discuss Python. Some jerk walks in, sits down at our table, and starts
    shoving handbills in our faces while shouting sales pitches at us. Who is
    to blame for the disruption?

    | Maybe the Trac authors should take their share for setting a default
    | that leaves it open to spammers.

    Just about every restaurant, store, church, school, park, and so on I have
    been to has been open to spammers along with legitimate attendees.

    The Trac authors are among the spammers' victims. I agree that it might be
    wise for them to notice the cretinoids and adjust accordingly. But they
    are not to blame for the need to do so.

    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Dec 23, 2006