python module development workflow

Peng Yu

Hi,

It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.

Could any expert suggest an authoritative and complete guide for
developing python modules? Thanks!

Regards,
Peng

John Gordon

In said:
It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.

It's unclear what you are asking.

How to develop your own modules?

How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

How to install modules that other people have developed?

Peng Yu

It's unclear what you are asking.

How to develop your own modules?

How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

I'm asking these two questions.

rusi

I'm asking these two questions.

You need to ask these two questions separately.

For the first you'll get good answers here if you can be more
specific.

The second is a good question which will not get useful answers
because python's package and distribute system(s) are in a flux. In
all fairness this is so for most languages which have as bad messes in
this domain. eg Haskell's cabal
http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/haskells-own-dll-hell/
http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-not-a-package-manager/