python project ideas

menkaur

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

clbr

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Rewrite moodle in python?:)

Evan Klitzke

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Something I've been thinking about recently -- a templating tool
capable of chunked output (i.e. sending the rendered output of the
template as it is filled in). For example, if you have a page that
has a slow database query in the middle of the template, you could
emit the top half of the page as chunked HTML so that the client could
start rendering the page without stalling and waiting for the SQL
query to complete before the page is sent out. You'd probably write
this as an extension to Mako/Cheetah (and possibly extend something
like mod_python/mod_wsgi, don't know whether these support chunked
output or not), but you could also write your own templating engine
for this.

Arnaud Delobelle

No, please.

I'm afraid it is the inalienable right of every python programmer to
write their own templating engine.
After all, it takes less time to write your own than to understand
some of them!

Stefan Behnel

Arnaud said:
I'm afraid it is the inalienable right of every python programmer to
write their own templating engine.

Oh, definitely. But there is no reason to encourage someone to do so.

After all, it takes less time to write your own than to understand
some of them!

Template engines are amongst the things that seem easy enough to look at the
available software and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day", but are complex
enough to keep them growing over years until they become as huge and
inaccessible as all the other implementations. Then it's time for someone else
to look at it and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day".

Stefan

George Sakkis

Template engines are amongst the things that seem easy enough to look at the
available software and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day", but are complex
enough to keep them growing over years until they become as huge and
inaccessible as all the other implementations. Then it's time for someone else
to look at it and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day".

QOTW :)

Paddy

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Is their anything left over from the last Google summer of code Python
suggestions?

- Paddy.

Hyuga

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Write a good, clean web-based music library/jukebox. This is
something I've been thinking of doing for a while, but I welcome
someone to beat me to the punch. There are a few such things out
there already--the most active is probably Jinzora, but I find it to
be bloated and slow, with a horribly cluttered interface. And I think
there are some other projects out there, but most of them are
abandoned. A simple, attractive interface would be good, with a built-
in flash player, and UTF-8 support throughout.

(and though this is a relatively minor detail, for god's sake if a
file has both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, use the ID3v2 tags by default.
Jinzora doesn't didn't do this last I tried and it was quite
obnoxious).

Neil Wallace

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group. May be something useful
for open source or python community ... Well, just post what you think
could be appropriate ...

How about a linux GUI for truecrypt ?

Massimo Di Pierro

Hi Menkaur,

I work in a university as well. I am looking for some help in
developing an apache graphical log analyzer using gluon http://
mdp.cti.depaul.edu/
I am about to release a pre-configured virtual appliance with it and
a graphical log analyzer would be very handy.

Massimo

Daniel Fetchinson

hi to everyone
I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
python project for university.
I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
May be something useful for open source or python community ...
Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Hi, have you tried this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas

Cheers,
Daniel