    be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
    May be something useful for open source or python community ...
    Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

    menkaur, Oct 25, 2007

  2. menkaur

    clbr Guest

    Rewrite moodle in python?:)

    clbr, Oct 25, 2007

  3. menkaur

    Evan Klitzke Guest

    Something I've been thinking about recently -- a templating tool
    capable of chunked output (i.e. sending the rendered output of the
    template as it is filled in). For example, if you have a page that
    has a slow database query in the middle of the template, you could
    emit the top half of the page as chunked HTML so that the client could
    start rendering the page without stalling and waiting for the SQL
    query to complete before the page is sent out. You'd probably write
    this as an extension to Mako/Cheetah (and possibly extend something
    like mod_python/mod_wsgi, don't know whether these support chunked
    output or not), but you could also write your own templating engine
    for this.

    Evan Klitzke, Oct 25, 2007
  4. No, please.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Oct 25, 2007
  5. I'm afraid it is the inalienable right of every python programmer to
    write their own templating engine.
    After all, it takes less time to write your own than to understand
    some of them!

    Arnaud Delobelle, Oct 25, 2007
  6. Oh, definitely. But there is no reason to encourage someone to do so.

    Template engines are amongst the things that seem easy enough to look at the
    available software and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day", but are complex
    enough to keep them growing over years until they become as huge and
    inaccessible as all the other implementations. Then it's time for someone else
    to look at it and say "bah, I'll write my own in a day".

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Oct 25, 2007
  7. QOTW :)

    George Sakkis, Oct 25, 2007
  8. menkaur

    Paddy Guest

    Is their anything left over from the last Google summer of code Python
    suggestions?

    - Paddy.

    Paddy, Oct 25, 2007
  9. menkaur

    Hyuga Guest

    Write a good, clean web-based music library/jukebox. This is
    something I've been thinking of doing for a while, but I welcome
    someone to beat me to the punch. There are a few such things out
    there already--the most active is probably Jinzora, but I find it to
    be bloated and slow, with a horribly cluttered interface. And I think
    there are some other projects out there, but most of them are
    abandoned. A simple, attractive interface would be good, with a built-
    in flash player, and UTF-8 support throughout.

    (and though this is a relatively minor detail, for god's sake if a
    file has both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, use the ID3v2 tags by default.
    Jinzora doesn't didn't do this last I tried and it was quite
    obnoxious).

    Hyuga, Oct 25, 2007
  10. menkaur

    Neil Wallace Guest

    How about a linux GUI for truecrypt ?

    Neil Wallace, Oct 25, 2007
  11. Hi Menkaur,

    I work in a university as well. I am looking for some help in
    developing an apache graphical log analyzer using gluon http://
    mdp.cti.depaul.edu/
    I am about to release a pre-configured virtual appliance with it and
    a graphical log analyzer would be very handy.

    Massimo

    Massimo Di Pierro, Oct 25, 2007
  12. menkaur

    TeroV Guest

    Since there is no GUI tool (that I'm aware of) I might even use it! :)

    TeroV, Oct 25, 2007
  13. hi to everyone
    Hi, have you tried this:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas