Python system with exemplary organization/coding style

TomF

I'm looking for a medium-sized Python system with very good coding
style and good code organization, so I can learn from it. I'm reading
various books on Python with advice on such things but I'd prefer to
see a real system.

By medium-sized I mean 5-20 classes, 5-20 files, etc; a code base that
has some complexity but isn't overwhelming.

Thanks,
-Tom

CTO

I'm looking for a medium-sized Python system with very good coding
style and good code organization, so I can learn from it.  I'm reading
various books on Python with advice on such things but I'd prefer to
see a real system.

By medium-sized I mean 5-20 classes, 5-20 files, etc; a code base that
has some complexity but isn't overwhelming.

Thanks,
-Tom

I'd recommend screenlets. Good documentation and pretty good style,
and
they have some external dependencies so you can see how that operates,
and of course you can see what your code is and isn't doing pretty
quickly.

Geremy Condra

TomF

I'd recommend screenlets. Good documentation and pretty good style,
and
they have some external dependencies so you can see how that operates,
and of course you can see what your code is and isn't doing pretty
quickly.

Thanks, this does look pretty good. Too bad it's grapics oriented, but
I suppose I can filter out the graphics dependencies.

-Tom

Aahz

I'm looking for a medium-sized Python system with very good coding
style and good code organization, so I can learn from it. I'm reading
various books on Python with advice on such things but I'd prefer to
see a real system.

By medium-sized I mean 5-20 classes, 5-20 files, etc; a code base that
has some complexity but isn't overwhelming.

Actually, that's what I'd call "small". "Medium" would be about 30-50
classes (Python mostly has multiple classes per file, unlike Java, so
number of files is usally a poor measure of complexity). Something about
the right complexity level for what you're looking for can be found in
several parts of the Python standard library, including the thread,
threading, and Queue modules (although I haven't looked at the code
recently, so I can't vouch for its quality).

Another option would be dnspython, but that's getting a bit larger than
you're looking for.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In 1968 it took the computing power of 2 C-64's to fly a rocket to the moon.
Now, in 1998 it takes the Power of a Pentium 200 to run Microsoft Windows 98.
Something must have gone wrong." --/bin/fortune