Question about accessing SQL database over the Internet...

Kevin

I'm beginning to get into ASP.NET and don't know much about it yet. I
just need to know first about the way to access a SQL Server database.

SQL Server is running on a server inside our network and not
accessible to the outside world. Our web site is being hosted by a
company in Miami.

What I want to happen is for potential students go to our web site and
be able to see if there's openings in upcoming classes and eventually
sign up for the class online and pay with a credit card.

We have a very slow DSL connection to the internet from our office and
I want to keep SQL Server on our server.

Is there a secure way for the web site (in Miami) to access our
database for the information? Will we need a bigger pipe? (Our web
site averages only 500 hits or less a day)

Would it be better to have the web site link to ASP pages running on
our own server?

Kevin Spencer

Under the circumstances, the most secure solution would be to host the ASP
pages on the same network as your SQL Server.

--
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer

Kevin

What about possibly a web service that would be accessed from the
hosted web site? Or would that pretty much just work the same way?