    without pressing the "Enter" key.
    Any solution or suggestion is welcome, thank you!

    layman

    layman, Jan 24, 2005

  2. You seem to be using a Unix-like operating system. Here's a
    non-portable solution that uses stty to change the input mode:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/df697a1d029dd808

    After that, you can use System.in.read() to read single characters.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I can determine
    no clue from the headers or post as to the OP's OS, so I must
    be looking for the wrong things.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 25, 2005
  4. The presence of "X11" in the User-Agent string:

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Thanks. That was bugging me!

    And now, I better try and bow out of this technical
    discussion as gracefully as I can manage.

    <insert>
    Sound of splintering timbers/falling masonry/breaking glass.
    </insert> ;-)

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Actually, it's Windows, not Unixen, that generally tends to have a
    getch() function implemented.

    "You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down
    and restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?"
    - Karri Kalpio

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Did anyone suggest that wasn't the case?

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Someone said "You seem to be on a Unix-like system" which I took to mean
    they thought the OP was using Unix.

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Clarifications:
    (1) That someone was you (not talking to myself of course).
    (2) My statement in my earlier post is a bit of a tautology. I meant
    "...which I took to mean the OP was referring to a Unix function".

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  10. I did say that (because I did think the OP was using Unix), but I made
    no statements about the "c-function" he mentioned.

    As I indicated in an earlier response to Andrew, I came to that
    conclusion based on his User-Agent setting, and used that to justify
    suggesting that particular platform-specific solution.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 26, 2005
  11. layman

    T.N

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    please could any one help to replace getch()

    please please any one
    could any one tell me how can i replace getch() with proper instruction in
    JAVA
    please that is so urgent
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

    my e_mail :